Sign in to follow this  

The Athena Big Bore 280 Kit

Ok some time has passed - I asked several months back if anyone has tried the Athena 280 kit on there bike. The response was the kit is was not available at the time. Athena at the time was testing to see what interest was out there for one? Now I see them on Ebay and have not seen any post on here about people using them yet. Does anyone have on installed or rode a 250f with this kit installed???

Ok some time has passed - I asked several months back if anyone has tried the Athena 280 kit on there bike. The response was the kit is was not available at the time. Athena at the time was testing to see what interest was out there for one? Now I see them on Ebay and have not seen any post on here about people using them yet. Does anyone have on installed or rode a 250f with this kit installed???

well , generally speaking the 250 cc or the 450 cc stock bore and stroke can be made to make better more reliable smoother power :thumbsup:

i have built several 450's and 250's into 488, 502, 570, 279, 307 and so on,

and yes you can make them work , you can rebalance ever thing to kinda run smooth ,

but you will play hell to get the power and the rpm's back up to par,

but with the right cam and lots of head work you can get it -----but it can be a lot of work.

you can build a 250 or 450 in stock bore and stroke and make great power.

every time i come up against some body that has a big bore , my stock bore and stroke bikes easily kill there motor everywhere , :ride:

and all of the riders at the end of the day like the stock bore and stroke bikes way better than the big bores .

you can make them work but it takes alot of screwing around .

:cry:

it can be good if you are doing a dune alcohol big motor for shooting the hill ,

but it gets real involved real quick,

you are not going to install the low compression Athena kit on and make better power right out the gate,

these generally run way slower :ride: ----they just do ,

it takes alot of crank, rod, balancing , head and cam work to get it to really come around :ride:

I've heard that the big bores aren't as good for racing because the it isn't as usuable or whatever but if the bike came factory as a bigger bore wouldn't it be faster?

People tend to go to big in my opinion. I did a simple 2mm over bore on my WR250F a few years ago and it made a significant difference without changing things for the negative. That is a 262.

ben

I kind of agree with Kelster. After trying 262 and 290 kits, I realized that I like the stock bore best. The big bores vibrate more and have a rougher feel.

Hopefully not to many people will see this, because I know there are some BB fanatics on this site. :thumbsup:

I have a 250 in my garage, a 450, and a 307. The 307 is better and smoother everywhere, off road or MX. I would sell both of the stock displacement bikes before I parted with the 307. It's incredibly fast while being easy to ride and lightweight. It has no vibration issues at all.

At the end of the season, I will probably sell the 250 and build another Honda 307. I would not build a bore-only CRF. You need the longer stroke to fill the cylinder properly at speed (due to the small 250 head), and the rebalance that goes along with the stroke to control vibration. The bore-only kits are more affordable, but you get what you pay for.