Sign in to follow this  

Re-Painted Pit Bike

The plastic was painted with an etching paint first(4 coats) then sanded and painted yellow....with a light sanding between each coat....will put the sticker kit on later.

Is that cheaper than new plastic's?I've seen some here on ebay for $29.00 plus $10.00 to ship.The person who sold me my bike will get me a set for $35.00.There probally cheap knock-off's,but aren't ther just for look's?I mean beside's the one over the exhaust.

Plastics are cheap and no matter what kind of paint you used it was a waste of time and money, unless of course you just want to look at your bike.

If I were you, then I would get the sticker kit on there as soon as possible, and stop telling people that you painted your plastic.

Dude relax just trying to get some ideas and feedback.... after all this is a hobby(for me anyway).

ok I will keep u informed, if it doesnt stay on I will get the plastics from ebay they look ok.... dont you think?

New plastic is the only way to go.

I tried painting gloss black on some smaller pieces of plastic on an atv, around the lights, and it would just never stay.

As a qualified professional painter I would have to say that it IS possible to paint plastic, and for it to stay on there. You just have to take all of the right steps. I'm not sure how much you researched it, but just throwing on primer, paint and a clear coat, even if it's automotive paint, will not cut it. You will start chipping it right away. I use additives to my paint to make it flexible enough to allow bending with the plastic (in case of a crash) and also a high bond coating on the plastic before I even primer it. A good top coat clear is also a must.

Like I said, not sure if you approached it like this, but to everyone who says it can't be done, it actually can. You just have to know how.

I did follow the steps I was given by the guy at the paint shop,

1. Sand & add some under coat (etching) paint

2. Plastic paint with sanding in between each coat.

3. Some clear varnish?? that he gave me, to add as a final coat.

Just experimenting, if it doesn't work will buy a new set of plastics from ebay.

dont buy the 30$ plastics from ebay... they will brake on one of ur first crashs :thumbsup:

the way to do it would be to dye the plastics. bleach them white, then die them and it will stay that color.

So how do I bleach them white? that sounds like a good idea.