Sign in to follow this  

1988 RM 250 timing help please??

Hi all,

Im pretty new to moto x stuff but i got my hands on an old 1988 RM250 non runner and im having some problems getting it going and just wondered if anyone new how to adjust the timing?

This is the only other thing i can think of.

Theres good compression,fresh fuel getting through, good spark, cleaned carb.

If i kick it over several times i occasionaly get a little fire so think it might be the timing but am obviously open to any suggestions as im only guessing really.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Rich

The stator plate is located under the left side engine cover under the flyheel and held on by several 6mm screws. There is usually an index mark in the cases that is supposed to align with a mark on the stator plate. This is the only way to adjust the timing although adjustments are limited by a slotted plate. If your compression is good, check your reeds. IF the reeds are chipped or cracked, that might be your problem.

Thanks for that.

I left the bike at my cousins to work on as he on his hols at the mo and told him that it has something to do with when the piston is at the top of its travel the flywheel bit should be in a certain position.

He messed around and has now managed to get it fired up although with no throttle it dies straight away so i think hes just going to adjust it to make it run as best as possible. I no there not suppose to tick over anyway and it is 18 years old so could probably do with a little tune up of some sort. THe power valve is also not working due to a broken top plastic clip but im going to get that ordered today and see what happens.

Richard

I have several brand new in pkg top and bottom plastic clips for the 87-88 motors that I don't need if you're interested.