Sign in to follow this  

'04 400 Exc

Hi all,

first post and I need some advice. I'm looking at getting back into riding after about a 12 year hiatus. I started riding at about age 6 or 7 and had bikes until I was 20 or so. Anyway, I'm wanting a bike, and am thinking of going dual sport. A dealer near me has an 04 400 EXC GR. I'm pretty sure it is not street legal, but was wondering if it's possible to convert this machine? Also, have there been any changes to this bike from 2004 to 2006?

I'm 5'9 and about 155 to 160 #, so I'd like a pretty light bike to throw around. Would a 250 be better suited to me, and still have long enough legs for some road riding, or is the 400 where I need to be?

I haven't yet talked to the dealer about this bike, but they are asking $4500, and from what I see this looks to be a good deal if the bike is in good shape.

Also, what is the difference between a EXC and EXC-Racing?

thanks for any help!

Wes

EXC is the designation, when they developed this engine they called it the "Racing Four Stroke" to seperate it from the LC4 engine which is more a a dual sport application (they made it in 400cc up to 00).

That is a nice piece, more relaxing to ride then the 450, will not win many races but plenty nice ride.

04 to 06 changes are just minor chassis stuff, they get better each year but its very minor.

just make sure when they fill out the title info they don't make it say off road only. I have a '02 400exc and mine is street legal so I can do super motad if I want to. each state is different with the rules but I think the most important is to make sure the title list it as street legal.