Sign in to follow this  

All in favor??

I'm really close to picking up a '97 xr250r to fill in for my kdx200 AND my dr350. This bike will do double duty as my dualsport and my dirtbike. This particular bike comes with a white bros exhaust and has the basic breathing mods done. My dr350 suspension was done by scott's and made a world of difference so I may tinker with this one as I see fit. How about a motobillet rack? I'll have to check with them about it....and some light luggage. She'll be forced to do week-long 1500 mile off-road runs in New Mexico and Colorado....as well as single track all over. Can anyone think of a reason this bike won't work for my intended purposes? Speak now...

Nope... Will work just fine.... But if it's for an adult, why not a 400??? Just askin...

The 400 would no doubt be better at the long dualsport rides, but my dr350 would wear me out after a day on singletrack (I'm 5'7" 140lbs). The two bikes are similar in size and power (close enough)....I think the 250 will be closest to my kdx in handling (flickable with beautiful steering). If I find that the bike won't work on the longer rides, I'll keep the dr350...but I think the 250 will do fine. I think I closed the deal anyway so it's too late :thumbsup:

edit: I'll pay $1400 for a '97 xr250r with a white bros exhaust

ive owned a 03 XR250 and now have a 02 XR400... between the two, there is not much difference in handling despite the weight difference... I like the 400 better because of the power difference, but I wish it had 6 gears instead of 5 :thumbsup:

overall, if you can get a 400, go for it.. i think you'll be a lot happier when it comes to riding it off road...

ive owned a 03 XR250 and now have a 02 XR400... between the two, there is not much difference in handling despite the weight difference... I like the 400 better because of the power difference, but I wish it had 6 gears instead of 5 :thumbsup:

overall, if you can get a 400, go for it.. i think you'll be a lot happier when it comes to riding it off road...

250 has 6... atleast my 02 does

I would find a 250 and a 400 and test ride them tha same day before making my decision. You might find one suits you better than the other.

Nope... Will work just fine.... But if it's for an adult, why not a 400??? Just askin...

I was going to say that, but now he says 5'7"-140#, the 250 may be better. 280 even better. :thumbsup:

Ahh yes, the 280. If I get rid of the dr350, some of the cash will go to suspension mods and maybe a 280 kit in the future.