Sign in to follow this  

Is the Denton Trail any good?

I was thinking of checking it out this weekend but heard it's not in the greatest shape. Any other trails close by you would recommend? I've been to Higgins lake, baldwin area and most of the trails around Lake City, Cadillac and Kalkaska.

oh yea what about Grand Traverse, how is that and do you need a plate?

Thanks!

I rode the west Denton Loop this past weekend. There were a LOT of downed trees and some puddles. It was slow going in a few sections because of this.

The western Leota loops were pretty good. I didn't do the southern most loop because of some of the sand/whoops, but all the northern loops were in good condition. Nice hills and turns with just enough whoops to still keep it fun.

try the Northwestern loops of the leota system they traditionally have much less traffic and a little more topography, or the connector to missaukee junction west of higgins lake.

I was thinking of checking it out this weekend but heard it's not in the greatest shape. Any other trails close by you would recommend? I've been to Higgins lake, baldwin area and most of the trails around Lake City, Cadillac and Kalkaska.

oh yea what about Grand Traverse, how is that and do you need a plate?

Thanks!

I did not get over to the Denton this year ( I agree with flem, Northwestern Leota loop was great, but there is two big sand hills that sneak up on you) but rode it last, I started out at the new parking lot near hwy 18 and did like the connecting loop in between us 27 and the Denton loop, lots of little bridges to go over and some good open woods riding and was really wet in spots and I'm sure that has not changed.

We checked out the Northwestern loops at Leota. Pretty fast and wide and not too technical. Quite a few whoops for the first couple of miles and a whole lot of quads out there. In general I was not too terrible impressed, seemed pretty boring after riding trails like Fredrick and Long Lake.

I rode Denton yesterday. Dusty and tight. We rode about 1/2 the loop before one of the riders broke his clutch. I would rate the trail as fair but its still better than sitting home.

are you sure you were riding the northwest loops, the ones along canoe camp rd. and the jonesville bridge are BEAT!!!! there's no saving those except to move the trail bed, Back in the day Leota was a blast now onlt the far northwest loops are any good, you real have to go the the northern most loops in the LP to get any decent trails that aren't beat to death by the quad traffic, hopefully the trail expansions will get those parallel trails up and running soon.