Sign in to follow this  

scotts filters. bad?

so, i was at the motor sports shop yesterday. i asked the guy for an oil filter for my drz400s. i asked if he had any 'scotts SS filters' and he told me that they are the worst investment ever. my engine won't last more than 4 oil changes. i asked why he thought this and he mentioned some bikes that come in always have metal in the case and not in the filter.

does he have good reasons to hate scotts oil filters? do you guys feel the same?? would a k&n be better. I'm confused. thanks.

Burned uses them and swears by them...as do other guys on here that I trust.

The presense of metal in the case would not alarm me too much because as One tranny mechanic once told me...all transmissions make metal. They can't help but do that from all the metal to metal grating as the gears mesh.

The import thing is that the metal does not get pumped through the oil system. That is the filters job.

I trust Burned before parts monkeys.

Personally I would not use any oil filter that needed cleaning.

To much mess, not to mention needing compressed air to get it clean, along with a solvent.

And can you be sure that it is clean before re-fitting it.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::cry:

I'm not saying this guys opinion is necessarily moved by this but shops like to sell stuff like oil filters. Once you buy a stainless you don't go back and buy paper ones from shops anymore. Actually I doubt that is it. He just really does not like stainless filters. Facts will probably not change his mind. I'm not saying I have any anyway.

thanks for your input. i really appreciate it.I'll use the paper one for now and next time i think i might invest in a SS one. thanks!

You don't have to use Scotts (K&P Engineering makes them anyways). There are a lot of other S.S. filters that are less expensive now.. Including the K&P.

Dave

typical parts idiot.

Hey I resemble that remark :thumbsup:

I have a very high mileage, very hard ridden, very well running tengai that has had a scott's in it for quite a while,,,,guess I'd better start listening for it to go "boom" :thumbsup:

no you dont.you know more than what chain lube is good.

Heck, now there is information I could use... we have about a 3 month long tirade about chain lube on a different forum.

Everything from:

don't lube it all

use WD-40 only

the PJ1's and such

90w gear oil.

There's an opinion and in depth article written by Mark Lawrence that I found doing a search on filters.Very interesting reading.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters

nice link but i didn't see the drz400 listed http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

is there a Purolator Pure One PL14610s or Mobil-1 M1-110 available for the DRZ?

anyone know?

No. All the Purolator Pure One filters are spin on canisters.

I know for a fact that the 92 Yamaha Moto-4 came factory with a Stainless Steel reusable filter, and it's still running today after being stolen, returned, and getting the snot pounded out of it constantly by 3 teenage boys. Motor still runs great, which can not be said about the condition of the rest of the ride..........it's starting to resemble the cop car at the end of "Smokey and the Bandit"

I know for a fact that the 92 Yamaha Moto-4 came factory with a Stainless Steel reusable filter, and it's still running today after being stolen, returned, and getting the snot pounded out of it constantly by 3 teenage boys. Motor still runs great, which can not be said about the condition of the rest of the ride..........it's starting to resemble the cop car at the end of "Smokey and the Bandit"

LOL! awesome!