Hard Getting in gear

I own a 99 TTR 250 and i found that especially this weekend it was hard getting it into first and second and sometimes third gear...I rode some really fine sand trails and im wondering if some sand got in there somehow ...Is there a way to lube up the shifter so it penetrates without taking everything apart??? What type of lube could i use too?

Getting harder to shift makes me think oil first, then clutch second. It's not going to get dirt in the oil and just feel harder to shift. You would have already blown the engine by now.

I'd start with an oil change with good quality synthetic oil (yes it makes a difference with shifting) and if that doesn't do it put in a new clutch.

Every Yamaha I have ever bought new shifted like crap when I broke it in, then like butter after I dropped synthetic oil in it. I think they just don't like the crappy yamalube they ship them with.

I was about to start a new thread and then realized that this problem could be and probably is related to why my bike is sometimes hard to get into gear. I noticed that blue smoke was coming out of my exhaust when i revved it up. I've read a couple posts and done some searches...and i think what it means is that im burning oil. No what do I do? It could be valves or piston rings right? ?

If you have a wallet full of cash you can use the Yamalube synthetic oil. I think it is like 15w-40 or 50 or something. The synthetic Yamalube isn't bad stuff, its just expensive.

Other good choices include mobil1 synthetic motorcycle oil, or the gold cap 15w-50 syhtnetic regular car oil, or the rotella syhtnetic. All have a good following.

Personally, I use Mobil1 red cap 15w-50 that has been replaced with the gold cap EP 15w-50. Just make sure it doe NOT have energy conserving in the stamp.

As for the problem with the smoke, its possible that you are low on oil or have dirty oil from the blowby. It most likely is the rings if it smokes all the time.

Try an oil change.

I have a TTR125 that had the same symptoms. The problem was a backed out torx bolt from the gear index thing behind the flywheel. I didn't fix it right away which resulted in a supporting pin taking all the load and cracking it's mount off the case. New case and rebuilt later i'm back in business.....I'd pull your flywheel off and make sure this isn't the problem....in the mean time i woudn't ride it.

If you have a wallet full of cash you can use the Yamalube synthetic oil. I think it is like 15w-40 or 50 or something. The synthetic Yamalube isn't bad stuff, its just expensive.

Other good choices include mobil1 synthetic motorcycle oil, or the gold cap 15w-50 syhtnetic regular car oil, or the rotella syhtnetic. All have a good following.

Personally, I use Mobil1 red cap 15w-50 that has been replaced with the gold cap EP 15w-50. Just make sure it doe NOT have energy conserving in the stamp.

As for the problem with the smoke, its possible that you are low on oil or have dirty oil from the blowby. It most likely is the rings if it smokes all the time.

Try an oil change.

It doesnt smoke all the time only when i rev it...Im a little unsure what dirty oil from the blowby means? So what is causing my oil to burn??

It doesnt smoke all the time only when i rev it...Im a little unsure what dirty oil from the blowby means? So what is causing my oil to burn??

Dirty oil from blow by is when gas from the combustion chamber contaminates the oil by "blowing by" the piston rings ?

It sounds like you're piston rings are shot. How many miles are on the bike?? It appears that the original owner of that bike maintained it like shit

Im not too sure how many miles are on the bike...but yes im now learning that he didnt take care of it like im trying to. Im curious....what causes piston rings to go? And what kind of bill am i looking at because my pockets arent very deep at the moment? Or is this a do-it-yourselfer?

I'm not sure...

Abuse is a sure factor though. Over revving and lack of routine oil changes will sure wear out an engine.

Well not so much the overreving. I wind the shit out of my 250 all the time however I clean the airfilter after every ride and I change the oil about every 5 rides. The intake and exhaust ports look clean, and if everything under the valve cover is reflective of what the inside of the motor looks like than that motor is good to go for a long while. You can abuse the crap out of these TT-R s...they are tanks, you just have to maintain them properly ?

Not cleaning you're airfilter will cause your rings to go too...just a thought

Well...this is my first bike and I admit that I lacked knowledge and the ambition to take care of it. I've grown up driving 4-wheelers and I never wrenched one part of it and still beat the crap out of it every ride. The problems that are occuring now are the result of my lack of knowledge and interest in taking care of my bike. This website has opened my eyes to bike maintenance and simple bike repairs. Things i wouldn't have ever done if I hadnt found this site. I really want to get rid of my TTR-250 and start fresh with something faster and more performance driven. YZF250...or maybe the WR. I promise everyone here that when i do get something else it will be cared for and then some...any suggestions yzf or wr?

Well...this is my first bike and I admit that I lacked knowledge and the ambition to take care of it. I've grown up driving 4-wheelers and I never wrenched one part of it and still beat the crap out of it every ride. The problems that are occuring now are the result of my lack of knowledge and interest in taking care of my bike. This website has opened my eyes to bike maintenance and simple bike repairs. Things i wouldn't have ever done if I hadnt found this site. I really want to get rid of my TTR-250 and start fresh with something faster and more performance driven. YZF250...or maybe the WR. I promise everyone here that when i do get something else it will be cared for and then some...any suggestions yzf or wr?

Does Canada have laws keeping "competition" MX bikes from riding on trails?? If not then pull the trigger on a YZ 250f!! That bike is so much fun everywhere!! Track, hillclimbs, fireroads, singletrack that little thumper can do it all. Right off the showroom floor the YZF is ready to rock!!. The WR needs about an 2 hours of work, a jetting kit, and a smog pump removal kit to bring it to the performance level of the YZ. On the YZ the maintenence would be more intensive than on the TT-R. You'd have to drop the oil every 3 rides...YZ trannys are notorious for shearing oil out of grade pronto. The new YZs come with a paper filter, replace with scotts reusable one and it'll pay for itself within a year.

Does Canada have laws keeping "competition" MX bikes from riding on trails?? If not then pull the trigger on a YZ 250f!! That bike is so much fun everywhere!! Track, hillclimbs, fireroads, singletrack that little thumper can do it all. Right off the showroom floor the YZF is ready to rock!!. The WR needs about an 2 hours of work, a jetting kit, and a smog pump removal kit to bring it to the performance level of the YZ. On the YZ the maintenence would be more intensive than on the TT-R. You'd have to drop the oil every 3 rides...YZ trannys are notorious for shearing oil out of grade pronto. The new YZs come with a paper filter, replace with scotts reusable one and it'll pay for itself within a year.

Well no laws that I know of...I ride mostly where 4X4 4 wheelers go so its deep into the bush and usually ends up being some pretty technical trails. And sometimes at my buddies place...he's got a couple acres and we're starting to build some jumps and hopefully it will evolve into a track. I can't afford to buy brand new so i'll have to settle for something used. Im thinking...if i can find an 03 that has obviously taken care of and hasnt been raced/stock i'll jump all over it. Even something older...i dont care as long as I can tell its been taken care of. By the way what does shearing oil out of grade mean im guessing it means that it gets dirty real fast...What about the CRF250?? I've owned a 1990 honda 300 4 wheeler and I've run them off cliffs...rolled em down hills...you name it...and I know honda makes a reliable machine...is it the same for dirtbikes?

Well no laws that I know of...I ride mostly where 4X4 4 wheelers go so its deep into the bush and usually ends up being some pretty technical trails. And sometimes at my buddies place...he's got a couple acres and we're starting to build some jumps and hopefully it will evolve into a track.

Ok, you should be fine with an MX bike.

I can't afford to buy brand new so i'll have to settle for something used. Im thinking...if i can find an 03 that has obviously taken care of and hasnt been raced/stock i'll jump all over it. Even something older...i dont care as long as I can tell its been taken care of.

The 01 and 02 YZ 250f has manual decompression cam on it and it can be tricky to start at first...no biggie after a while.

By the way what does shearing oil out of grade mean im guessing it means that it gets dirty real fast.

How dirty an oil is has nothing to do with how much it has sheared out of grade. Shearing out of grade is basically when an oil is no longer the original weight it was. Some oils shear out of grade faster than others...depends on the additive package the oil has.

..What about the CRF250?? I've owned a 1990 honda 300 4 wheeler and I've run them off cliffs...rolled em down hills...you name it...and I know honda makes a reliable machine...is it the same for dirtbikes?
Search

the CRF 250R and CRF 250X for "Valve issues", "transmission issues" and other things. The CRF is a higher maintainece machine compared to the YZf. If you can find an 04 CRF with an 06 head, that would be ideal

Oh i forgot to ask...how much louder is the yzf with stock exhaust compared to my ttr-250??

The stock TT-R exhaust with the baffle in comes in at around 83-85 DB. The TT-R pipe with the baffle out comes in at around 93 db. The stock YZ 250f exhaust is significantly louder...around 100 db.

JSanFilippo....you really know your stuff man...you've been by far the most helpful and informative individual on the ttr forum. Ive begun to appreciate the 4 stroke technology and the maintenance required to keep it em and running. Next season I will probably be moving to the yzf forum. But I'll always come back and check up to see whats new and good with the TTR-250.

JSanFilippo....you really know your stuff man...you've been by far the most helpful and informative individual on the ttr forum. Ive begun to appreciate the 4 stroke technology and the maintenance required to keep it em and running. Next season I will probably be moving to the yzf forum. But I'll always come back and check up to see whats new and good with the TTR-250.

I spend too much time on hear learning about all the different bikes and not enough time riding ?