Sign in to follow this  

Trying to resist KTM...

I love my 2006 DRZ but I feel like I may dump her for another woman, and it's a tough decision. I am addicted to modding the DRZ too. I need suspension and an FCR too, so there goes another $1000. Deep sand, and the black diamond trails in the mountains are not easy on my DRZs. With the clarke tank full :thumbsup: The DRZ is a great cruiser, and I ride more sanely on it. That's a good thing.

That being said, is there anything good about a 2007 plated KTM for the street??? Like a loud horn like the DRZ :ride: In reality the street legal KTM's will be bare bones minimum for street equipment I assume like Husky.

Such is life, I want both. Why does this remind me of my past love life...I better go give my DRZ a hug.

If your desire is primarily dirt, and a bare bones race bike sounds like the ticket for you...then I would consider a Husky or a KTM for that job. I have ridden with guys with both varities...and they both performed quite well in the dual sport (primarily dirt) roles. I think parts are easier to get eith the KTM. Seems like KTM dealerships are popping up everywhere. I like the EXC in the 450 or bigger. The Husky I got to ride a short distance on was the 520.

The Husky was a lot lighter then my KLX...but it did not feel as stout. I'm not sure how much being thrown down it will take to fracture that ultra thin tubed subframe...but I wager it won't take much.

If your ready to advance and you can get it plated in Cali (good luck)...then go for it.

I secretly lust for a KTM EXC to park next to my KLX...but it would never replace her...can't happen.

I had a KTM 620..It was an older bike. BIG...good for the road and open trails or dirt roads. Expensive to maintain..an oil change, me doing the work was about $42.00. Maybe because it was older, it needed constant attention. At our riding skill level the KTM didnt perfrom any better than the DRZ's. For the type of riding I like, I like the DRZ 400 better. We ride in the desert and the mountains. I can go over 80mph...and climb in and out of just about anything. I cant find anything I dont like about the 2 DRZ's we own, both S models with some mods.

Take a look over at KTM Talk. Com

Maybe I better give my 1990 RMX a tune up, and go 2 smoking, and see how I feel. A new used dirt only machine might be the answer, and possibly sell off my RMX instead...

I love my 2006 DRZ but I feel like I may dump her for another woman, and it's a tough decision. I am addicted to modding the DRZ too. I need suspension and an FCR too, so there goes another $1000. Deep sand, and the black diamond trails in the mountains are not easy on my DRZs. With the clarke tank full :thumbsup: The DRZ is a great cruiser, and I ride more sanely on it. That's a good thing.

That being said, is there anything good about a 2007 plated KTM for the street??? Like a loud horn like the DRZ :ride: In reality the street legal KTM's will be bare bones minimum for street equipment I assume like Husky.

Such is life, I want both. Why does this remind me of my past love life...I better go give my DRZ a hug.

There is the new KTM 950 v-twin just coming out. 98 hp :thumbsup:

For the trifling fee of $12,995 U.S. :ride:

It is street legal, just wears out tires like a mother.

The only problem is there will only be 500 available in the US for the first year. The reviews i've read say it has traction problem due to the excessive power on tap. Plus it weighs 400+ lbs. Something to think about. Sounds like range is somewhat limited to close to what the DRZ's are capable of. Geared right you should be able to do 150 mph with no problem. Sounds like head shake is a bit of a problem at high speeds. 6 speed tranny, what the DRZ's should have come with IMHO.

I just had this conversation yesterday regarding "dumping" my DRZ in favor of a Husqvarna TE450 (or maybe a KTM 450 EXC) and I just bought the DRZ about a month ago and haven't even had it in the woods yet!

I'm planning to run some enduros and lot's of single track woods along with assorted ORV and forestry roads in north Georgia. I wanted street legal to be able to run some dual sport rides but won't really be riding on the street other than sections of enduro and dual sport rides and the occasional road between trails. So I bought a 400S and planned to make it into a street legal "E" basically with all the mods that are described here.

So I'm looking over the race results for some of the SETRA enduros and trying to decide what class to enter and I can't help but notice htere are almost NO Suzukis in any of the classes. I look closer and most every class is dominated by KTM. Are they that much better for enduro, or just marketed better to the enduro crowd? There were also Husqvarna and GasGas and the odd Japanese bike, but like 8 out of every 10 was a KTM.

I had looked at the Husky TE450 before I bought my DRZ, but didn't want to spend the money to get it over the DRZ. But now that I've got the DRZ, I've got over $4000 to start with and will spend close to $1000 just to get it in the woods (tires, skid plate, rad guard, MCCT, plastic tank, jetting, handlebars, handguards, etc) and maybe another $1000 if I go with a new carb and full yosh exhaust. So I figure I'm closing in on $6000 with my '05 DRZ. I can get an '07 Husky TE450 for about $6800 and just add a skip plate and handguards. This gets me a DOT legal dirt bike that weighs 235 dry instead of 299 (maybe 280 after mods). What's wrong with this picture...

So I'm thinking hard, and doing my homework to try and decide whether to move forward with the DRZ, or sell it before I mod it and put it in the woods because my value will go down quite a bit after another year older and normal dirt riding wear and tear. Plus I won't get much more for it with all the mods. Right now it looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor in 2005!

Thanks,

James

I've also been thinking about the street leagal ktm,s and or the husky, to replace the drzs daily commuter and summer dualsport rides and my crf450 that sits untill desert season at 47 I'm mostly done with the tracks.reading the husky owner threads . Quite a few reporting over heating and marginal highway preformance. I think the exc's will be ktm's tried technologies and not thier new stuff being devolped to compete with the japenese 450's. I'm hopeful honda or the rest will produce a streetable 450.