Sign in to follow this  

oil

I searched but did not find exactly what i wanted my 2 choices are AmsOil or Golden Spectro. What weight should i use 10-40, 20-40, 10-30? I was thinking 10-40 or 20-40. And is AmsOil a good oil for 4 strokes?

I'll assume since you're in this forum that you have a YZF. There are several different Amsoil oils available, and even 3 or 4 made specifically for motorcycles or other small, high output engines. But only two of these are your best choice for your bike. Those are labeled, "Synthetic Motorcycle Oil", and the product ID's are MCF and MCV, for 10w-40 and 20w-50, respectively. Both these oils are formulated to be used in an engine/transmission assembly, and while there are other MC oils capable of holding up well (resisting viscosity loss due to shear in the gear box), only Amsoil MCF/MCV, that I know of, is actually graded and labeled API GL-1, making it not only an engine oil, but a real, legitimate transmission lubricant. That is the one to use if you're choosing Amsoil.

As far as the weight goes, if you look at the chart in your manual, you will see that all the 40's are specified up to 114 degrees ambient temp. That will cover almost any situation, and MCF is all I have run in the 250F for over a year. I do bump the 450's up to 20w-50 during the hottest 2-3 months of the year, but I run 10w-40 in them most of the time, too. I would not use a ?w-30 under any circumstances, but if you ride during the winter in Michigan, it might actually be called for at times.