Sign in to follow this  

Road Legal 1988 Rm 250 - Advice???

Hi there,

I recently purchased an old RM250 which didnt run. Only today i managed to get it going as the timing was out. (see previous thread)

The bike itself had previously been made road legal and i had a log book and registration plate with it. (numbers all match)

It has lights on it but no switches to make them work. Does anyone know where i might be best to get light switches, for lights, horn etc.

Do i need to fit a battery to it to make the lights work or will they just work from the power of the engine? Also it has no (key) ignition. are these also easy to get hold of and fit? Should i just keep an eye out for RMX parts on ebay and will these suit or is this just a load of hassle?

Thanks

Richard

A 2 stroke needs a lighting coil set for powering the lights, and a pulser coil set for the ignition. On an RM, and I have an 87 RM250 with 30 original hours on it, you need some form of aftermarket/ or stock RMX lighting coil which will generate AC current, then you can get a rectifire which changes AC current to DC current from Baja Designs. Now you can add a battery, I'd suggest at least a thin long Gell cell from batteries plue that is 2.9ah,. thats what I used on my XR600R to do this kind of system. OK, as for switches, check with Baja Designs to see what they have for that bike, or surf for a kit for it. I beleive the lighting coils available for it don;t really have enough power for much over a 35 watt headlight but that should be sufficient for general off roading and street riding unless you are hauling ass. Also on a key switch ppretty much any one position key switch from Pep Boys will work if you wire it into the kill switch. Then get a good strong cable lock and a disk lock...

Hey Richard, I've got a 1992 road registered RM250 that has had a lighting coil kit from www.electrex.co.uk fitted to it. If yours has the lighting coils you should be able to see them through the holes in the rotor on the end of the crank. Also you will have more wires than normal coming from the cover. Mine has a regulator only and no battery so the lights only work brightly when the engine is revving. There is a horn fitted but it isn't much use because there is no battery or capacitor to help it out. You should be able to get universal switches easily enough on Ebay. As far as MOT goes, you don't need to have lights for a daytime MOT. You might need a brake light but a small battery will provide enough temporary power for that. Good luck, I'll PM you with more details.