250x at Sand Mountain

Anyone have any experience with the 250x at Sand Mountain (Fallon, NV)? How did it do on Comp Hill, China Wall, Worm Hole? What paddle tire- 6 cup, 8 cup? Could you rip to the top of the big hills or just make it? How is your bike set up? Thanks!

hey i dont know about sand mountain...but out in glamis i can get up any hill with not too much trouble...if you get a running start (3rd gear or so) you should be able to just cruise right up...i have a DR.D pipe 160 mianjet, red needle 4th clip, and opened up air box... i run a kings "turbo" paddle (8 paddle) but would reccomend finding a 6 paddle ( supposed to be better on 250)

My expierence with sand on the 250X is that you are forever looking for more power and speed, which unfortunately the bike can't produce. I have always found sand to be hard on any bike. To have a reasonable good day, you have to be able to stay on top of the sand, and to do that, you need speed. You could probably survive but you would be ringing the motor to its limits all day long. I even thought Honeylake was to steep and sandy for the X on some of its track. Its one thing to top a climb, buts its another when you have to use every gear and every ounce of power to creep over the top. Here again, this is only from my experience on this bike in the sand.

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Dayton and make frequent trips to sand mountain. I have just an open stock pipe and air box and i can pull though third to the top of comp hill just fine. I cant rip all the way up but it pulls nicely. as for the area around it my bike does wonderful nothing really you cant do with this bike.

Sand is tough especially if you're used to the normal hard and medium-packed soil people usually ride. I don't know if it's always a question of power though. I REALLY struggle through sand and I'm just not quite used to it....But I took a 14 y.o. who was on an underpowered 100% stock CRF100 trail bike out to Pismo Beach and he ripped it up pretty good. He was able to climb up a lot (but not all) the dunes and he had that bike flying decently at a few spots. Surprised the heck out of me, but he did really well - on a bike that should NOT have been there.

I didn't even want to take my 250X out to Pismo and just get frustrated - I stick with my wife's quad when out there - it's the ONLY time I have a preference for a quad!

For everything else terrain-wise, the 250X has plenty of power to climb any hill I've needed it to (5 10" 175 lbs). I'll keep mine (or any of my bikes) out of the sand though personally!

Me and my girlfriend took our bikes to horsefall oregon. Great dunes (Nothing real huge). I was on a 04 CR250 and she was on a 05 KX100. The KX was under powered but pulled her around for three days fine. It went up almost every hill out there. We both determined we needed new bikes after the dune trip because thats where we like to ride.

She upgraded to a 07 CRF250R and I went to a 450R. Picking up both bikes this friday. From what I hear the 250R has no problems with power at the dunes. We are going again in october and I will let you know.

Not sure what the power difference is between the R and X. I thought they were very similar. The dealer laughed at me and told me to ride them back to back.

In stock form, the X and R are different power-wise, but with a little bit of work to convert the X (some carb, open airbox, exhaust, R cam), you can get all the power and keep it green-sticker on the X for all-year long riding. The R will still beat the X because of lighter weight (no e-start or battery), but they are/can be made very close. Afterall, they're almost the same platform, engine, suspension.

Living in CA, I'm too paranoid about the future of the red-sticker riding season and how much shorter it may become. Of course the places I ride most do tend to enforce the rules (pismo is the exception).

• 1 year later...

I have done all of the closed course modifications and can tell you that the X fully modified is still not as fast as the R. If you do the research (pat ramseys site) you will see that the intake valves and other stuff are also different. The titles at the dealer list the R models with 9 horspower more!

hp.

I have done all of the closed course modifications and can tell you that the X fully modified is still not as fast as the R. If you do the research (pat ramseys site) you will see that the intake valves and other stuff are also different. The titles at the dealer list the R models with 9 horspower more!

use the 07 R head and high compression piston port the head and if you've already added the cam and a pipe you will have that 9 more Hp.

I agree. Took the 250x out to Pismo and had to rev the snot out of it to get the speed that I wanted. Parked it after 5 minutes of riding and jumped on my 250 2-stroke. Whoa, what a difference. Nothing against the 250x though. It's a great bike everywhere else but the 2 stroke (or 450) is way more fun in the sand/dunes.