Sign in to follow this  

Loud and proud!

I have this little almost OCD problem of switching exhaust systems with my bike. Sometimes i want the bike to be quiet but it just loses too much grunt. I put the yoshimura open pipe back on the 650 last night, swapped a main jet, and am enjoying the grunt and sound of the thumper. You don't even have to work the bike to get it moving, it's great, but loud!

The following is a reply to a post on another site. The Poster basically said that he didn't care about loudness because he lived in an area where people are used to dirt bikes. I am against loud exhaust because it is only causing us problems with the government & the non-riding public.

----------------------------------------------------------

Well I guess that is all right if you are only on race tracks (even race tracks are imposing sound limits though) or you only run your bike locally where nobody cares, but that probable isn't the case. Anyway you don't need a loud muffler to get a horsepower gain & save weight. Save for a while & get one of the quiet mufflers. You seem to be obsessed with loud, in your Post you have, "which exhaust system will yield the most sound/Noise". Load is not going to make you faster or a better rider, it's psychological & more of a look at me type thing. Sort of like the "Punk" type kids with their studded bracelets, piercings, etc. trying to look bad. Well 90% of them aren't bad, just wimps playing a roll. The thing is that it is not all about you, there is a bigger picture. We are a small group with little real political power. So every time some idiot blast around with a loud exhaust or spins their knobby tire across some area where they shouldn't be we all look like shit. You’re just giving more ammo to the enemy. So when the day comes that more areas are shut down &/or there are ridiculous restrictions for after market product to modify your bike it will be people like you that will be bitching the most wanting to know what went wrong. You all need to grow up & deal with reality. ---------- PeteC

I whole heartedly agree that loud is not the way to go but to experience the gains in power by running the open exhaust, the bike is ten times happier since it has little work to do to get and keep moving. Still waiting on someone to produce something that flows without the sound penalties. Was thinking of a custom twin muffler setup which hopefully would accomplish the goals of added flow without too much added sound. Weight, not really concerned there, I'm not a racer looking for that extra hundreth of a second. It's a little worse off than an FMF-Q, the pipe I'm using now.

In some cases your engine needs backpressure. Open pipes may help you at the very tip of your powerband if even that, but it will kill the comfortable, stable, smooth ride you once knew. Your killing the torque, so actually your engine has to work harder to hit that one sweet spot that a pipe may give you. Someday you'll look back and laugh at yourself.

Have you guys piped one of these overly corked DR650's? You gain power everywhere, not just in one sweet spot. This is one machine that takes small mods like opening up the airbox, a jet kit, and open pipe, and turns into a fire breather. Where you used to twist the throttle three quarters to get moving at a respectable clip, now that will have the front end pulling off the ground in first and second gear. I hope you guys at least have one of these bikes to be basing your judgements. This is no high strung 450 fourstroke mx bike here, just a big engined ds bike that is very understressed and waiting to breathe.

We are a small group with little real political power. So every time some idiot blast around with a loud exhaust or spins their knobby tire across some area where they shouldn't be we all look like shit. You’re just giving more ammo to the enemy. So when the day comes that more areas are shut down &/or there are ridiculous restrictions for after market product to modify your bike it will be people like you that will be bitching the most wanting to know what went wrong. You all need to grow up & deal with reality. ---------- PeteC

twins.jpg

What the hell kind of commy crap is that ?

Like they have outlawed loud pipes on harleys,,, get a grip there Peter ! :thumbsup:

I don't want to grow up,I'm a toys-r-us kid !

If BW wants it louder than your whinning,,, so be it !

I agree with BW. These do need to breath and if you don't agree, you have not experienced the DR in it's optimal form. My bike still isn't that loud, I can start the bike (in the barn) and ride off w/o waking the wife or kids. There are a lot of harley's that absolutely couldn't do that.

One thing I found that helped quiet the beast and leave it running well was the header pipe weld grind. I used to run 8 or 9 discs in my s/t with the 160 jet. Now I am running 6 discs with the 170 jet. Going from 8 to 6 discs takes the hammering rap off the top of the "loudness", but the overall flow has improved (allowing the 170). If I wanted to get er rapping again I could go to a 175 jet and throw more discs in, but mama never liked it when it had 11 discs and the 170 jet (pre grind and pre $3 gallon fuel)

I agree as well, these bikes need to be uncorked. Mine is, and it hauls ass. I nessecarily don't care for the loudness, and it forces me to wear earplugs when I ride, which I guess you should do anyways to save your hearing.

One thing I do know is Harleys are alot louder then my bike, and they don't even produce horsepower, they're just loud. I hate hearing those bastards ride past my house all hours of the night, waking up my son etc.

Loud pipes are irritating to many riders, including me, and almost all non-riders. HD's are the worst offenders and there are more of them but dirt bikes contribute their fair share too. Some of the nicest places to ride a dual sport are also places where others *really* don't want to hear us. Parks, campgrounds, National Forests, logging trails through private land to name just a few. Their is already a serious movement to close and keep closed areas to MCs and quads. Noise is always one of the top reasons.

A friend and I were riding this spring. One evening I pulled up to our motel room. A lady was sitting out reading in front of her room beside ours. She made a point to approach me and thank us for our quiet motorcycles. She asked my why so many motorcycles are so disturbingly loud? I said I know of two reasons. #1 is making them loud, by opening them up and doing a number of other minor mods, can free up a few horsepower, maybe 5-10%. She said "so we have to listen all the noise just so they can have more power, what's the other reason?" #2 is many simply want their bike to sound loud even if it runs worse. And many just want others to notice them. The loud HD "look at bad ass me" type. She said it sounded immature to her. I couldn't argue with her.

It doesn't matter what the reason... noise annoys. Maybe a *slightly* louder than stock muffler will go unnoticed but anything louder is hurting our sport in a big way. Is that what you want? What sucks is the pendulum will swing and the upcoming noise regulations will be overly restrictive. They will make the stock mufflers even more restrictive and enforce that they not be changed or altered.

The point of my post? Please guys, keep them stock or as quiet as possible.

rick

Buckwheat---Little-Rascals--C10036927.jpeg

Yeaa I had a hog for years,,, it was alot of fun !

The exhaust was just a 1-3/4" tube and way loud ! There was not stealth mode on that sucker... The sounds was good,,, for about 10 minutes or so..

After that it was just a loud-blaaaaaaaaa-blaaaaaaaa ......

One good thing was it kept the little old ladies aware where you were are/coming/going from/to... Had loud pipes for years,, no tickets,,but alot of pissed off people..

Now I went back to a dirt bike ??? Must be the money thing ????

I do have the Q2 pipe and like it,,, but it sounds like it is time to repack it... Seems to be barking a bit louder now....

Anybody ever repack a FMF pipe before ???

The stock boat anchor/pipe and lack of aftermarket choices is THE weakest part of this bike. I have gotten my supertrapp to easily pass MI. 94db sound checks. But, it was a pain in the ass.

I did it by using a different(older, I think) end cap which has a down turned spout and an extension, instead of just the big, gaping, hole they must have thought would be better. Also, 6 disks is what I use; any less doesn't help quiet it. - Dale

I just finished repacking my e-series on my DR , i didnt find it made much of a difference but it did take the sharp edge of the sound which is good :thumbsup: Althou it is still a little loud. :ride:

I should have titled the thread a little differently as I don't really like the bark the loud pipe gives off. I can't argue however with the power increase!

One other note that was not spoken of was Safety, remember as Motorcycle people we all know that you have to ride like you are invisible because people in cars just do not see you, so with a little noise it helps for people that can not see you may hear you. I am not an advocate of noise and do not condone loud obnoxious motorcycles but having a little louder pipe can save your like.

Just my 2 cents

Peace

Nitmare

Aw man, the "loud pipes save lives argument"? When are we going to lay that one to rest? So BMW riders have more accidents than Harley riders?

Disclosure statement: I also own a Harley with aftermarket pipes (with baffles) but, no way do I think that makes me safer.

Check some of these links out:

http://www.motorbyte.com/mmm/pages/safety/safety40.htm

http://motorcyclebloggers.com/2005/07/25/the-myth-of-loud-pipes-saves-lives/

Was thinking of a custom twin muffler setup which hopefully would accomplish the goals of added flow without too much added sound. Weight, not really concerned there, I'm not a racer looking for that extra hundreth of a second.

Weight on a dual sport is not an issue related to an "extra hundreth of a second". That's why they only have single cylinder engines. If hp matters more than weight why not buy some twin cylinder pig made in germany? Or a hayabusa.

I'll reiterate, with an open pipe, the bike flat out works much better. It effortlessly pulls my 16t front sprocket and is just that much more effortless to ride. I hate having to whack the throttle with the stock exhaust just to have the bike go nowhere.

I understand but, when you can't ride it anywhere what good will it do you? It's not just about you, it's about all of us.

I got one of those Racer T pipes off ebay, the thing rips with that and airbox/jetting. Easily lifts front wheel in first and second, and pulls way better during roll on throttle. I love it. But..........I'm back to stock. The noise was drawing too much negative attention. I've switched back and forth so many times this summer I bet I've dropped over $60 on that damn steel wool donut of a gasket in there. As much as I love the power, I feel restricted about where I can go when the pipe on it. "Loud pipes save lives".......maybe, but "less sound = more ground" is definitely true.