why is my transmission oil solid grey?

My sons rm85 has something going on. The oil turns a solid "battleship" grey shortly after oil change, been watching coolant and have replaced the impellar and seal and the coolant doesn't seem to be leaking into the trans.

could this be the clutch? it doesn't seem to be slipping, its not a metalic grey its like solid "battleship grey"....i been changing oil after every other ride just to keep clean in it but i'm concerned as to why this color change. I've even checked the amount of oil i drain out to make sure coolants not getting in there and its right on. anyone know?

Thanks

The clutch plates will cause the oil to turn gray. When the fibers wear it makes the oil look that way. On an 85 where the kid is really working the clutch it will happen pretty quick. It's normal, but keep an eye on the clutch fibers wear level. Also make sure you look at the clutch steel plates to see if they are getting overheated, warped or scored. One more thing, change oil often. ?

Along with what Redbeard (or should I say Yellow/Bluebeard now?) posted you can trying running ATF in the gearbox.

Use I have always used Dexron III.... but I know some others have used Type F with no problems....

Along with what Redbeard (or should I say Yellow/Bluebeard now?) posted you can trying running ATF in the gearbox.

Use I have always used Dexron III.... but I know some others have used Type F with no problems....

I'm not a fan of ATF in the tranny. It makes the shifting feel "notchy" to me. I run Rotella T 15w40 in my bikes, cars, lawnmowers, etc.

My .02 My daughter rides a Cr85 and the trans had been the normal darker color with some gray, then I noticed the fluid started going more gray and having a burned smell also. I changed the clutches steels and springs. But while it was apart I noticed the aluminum parts that contact the innermost and outer most clutch friction were worn, grooved. Needless to say its all starting over again and I'm going to do all the parts this time. IMO the gray is from the aluminum wearing. I don't know your case but if you have it apart check the areas and replace the needed pieces. Have you Had to adjust your lever to get play back?

no adjustments yet but my sons made a few comments that make me believe the clutch will eventually be the problem, but of course when ever i ride the bike i have no problems so its hard to nail down, was most concerned with the grey oil. I'll check parts when i replace clutch......thanks alot !

• 2 weeks later...

well 2 months a go my rm 100 hade a grey colour to it and i took it to my firends dad hwho is a manchanic its no worry just check the collent to make sure its not the collent but there might be a problem with the seal cuz i just replaced mine cuz my firend said he had the same problem and it worked and i rode the other day and kno problems

I ran Dextron in my 93 RMX for 11 years that I had it, the first 4 years running 15 enduros and 8 hare scrambles per year, along with all the trail riding inbetween and NEVER had any problems or shifting problems, in fact my clutch lasted forever... and before that I ran it in my YZ250 and my hushy before that.