Sign in to follow this  

How do you ride a slow wheelie?

Hi,

Iv'e mastered ridding faster wheelie (i pull it up off the gas in 4th), but now I se lots of people just bearly rolling and then almost instantly standing strait up. Could anybody give me any tips on this, please?

Thanks

you gotta be really comfertable on the bike, and have really good balance. i usually just get rolling pretty slow, then pull in the clutch, slightly rev the bike, and dump the clutch. then adjust the throttle as necessary when the front wheel is in the air. What also may help, is get use to starting in 1st or 2nd gear, and riidng a wheelie through the gears. once i was able to get it from 1st to 5th, slow wheelies were easier for me. You have the same bike i do, and the easiest slow wheelie gear is 2nd. 1st is too low, and 3rd is hard to control going slow. Good luck

yami pretty much says it all. but sometimes i dont need the clutch, i just have it in 1st or 2nd and rev and pull it up. then just ajust your balance and work the throttle, sometimes the cluth. GOOD LUCK!! :thumbsup:

by the way, good choice in bikes :ride:

yea, i dont always use the clutch, actually i hardly ever need it, now that i think about it...same thing...good luck non the less!

Pulling the wheelie up the easy way:

Its a rhythm. push down on the forks and let it rebound. Then immediately push down on the forks again and when it rebounds just pull back and snap the throttle open at the same time (little clutch will help too but honestly you can wheelie anything with this technique). Kind of like using the front forks as a pogo stick to help it go up when you mash the throttle.

Riding a slow wheelie:

You really don't balance a slow wheelie as much as you purposely tip the bike over backwards. You basically pull it so straight up (past the point of no return) so that it falls over backwards. As it does just apply the rear brake and it will fall frontwards again. Before it falls too far turn the throttle on again so it falls over backwards once again. Then tap the rear brake to force it forward again. That's all there is to it really. When you get used to that feeling you need less and less real brake.

Sic

I have a RM125 and I can wheely in 1st gear through 4th gear by just pinning the throttle. Don't even need a clutch. Surely the YZFs would be able to also right?

hes asking on how to do a slower wheelie, not fly through the gears, and yes, its easy to do that on a yzf too. much easier than a 125

2nd gear....compress forks, pull up and give it some gas and the front should just come up and then just work the throttle and balance. That's what I do on all my bikes.