Sign in to follow this  

650, how should I set it up?

I bought a 2005 and it has been stalling when I throttle offl since I bought it, it also will some time stall at idle. I removed my spark plugs and found them to be absolutely coated with carbon. I cleaned them and went for a short ride and removed them again. The carbon was back immediately. I know my next step is to pull the carb and make some adjustements. I could use some suggestions on the jetting, spacing, etc.

What I have....

FMF Q

Modded air box

K&N Air filter (brand new)

Jessie's extended screw

Thanks,

CDN_RN/Pete

Sooted plugs = too rich. Have you done anything with choke? (e.g disconnected/re-connected) Have you done anything with the jetting at all? The modded airbox is designed to work in conjunction with bigger jets, richer pilot settings, not with stock jetting. Put a DJ kit in, follow the instructions to the letter, and start with a pilot setting of around 1.5 - 1.75 and tweak from there. Main jet will depend on your elevation, the higher you are, the smaller the main, but at sea level you may start around DJ 160 as a starting point. Jet kit + airbox mod + pipe has been shown to increase bhp + torque by 20% over stock on a dyno, so if you're not getting a radical improvement, something is wrong...Good luck!

The bike was re-jetted using DJ kit, not sure what size. Nothing has been done to the choke to the best of my knowledge.

Then my guess is that the main is too big, and maybe the needle in the wrong position, and maybe even the pilot too may turns out. Take the carb off and check, and re-set. Try DJ 160, needle at position 4th groove from top, and pilot screw out 1.5 turns as a base setting. Also check that the choke is working properly - easy to check when it's cold. I'm assuming you still have all of the other jets that came with the DJ kit of course. With a DJ kit, pipe and K+N the thing should fly, with a real strong mid range and no flat spots or surging anywhere. Oh, and ensuring your idle is set at 1500 rpm also helps.

Bingo, I think that's at least part of your problem. Lean it off some more, checking needle position (Oh and make sure all of the DJ washers, spacers etc are correctly installed with the needle) while you are at it. Float height is another possible cause of being overly rich, but as it's a '05 I'd be surprised if your float height is out .....

If its happening off idle, it doesn't have anything to do with your main jet. Start by closing the pilot screw a half turn. That will most likely be your culprit.

You're absolutely right about that, the main won't affect the idle. From his other symptoms however (sooted plugs after a ride), the chances are his needle setting or main may also be too rich. I know Jesse thinks that a 170 is too big for most DR applications, but on the other hand some guys swear by them as the right jet. Only a dyno run with an air/fuel meter will tell definitively, but if was my bike, i'd be trying a smaller main as well as checking the other circuits.

I found my happy setting for pilot screw, that an clean plugs have eliminated the stalling. I'm going to try the 160 next and give the carb a good cleaning. Thanks for the input!