PW's?

Of the TTR topic, but I'm looking for a good 50 for my kids now. The wife is hooked on the TTR 125 now, so we need to get the kids going too. Are all PW's 2 smokes? I'm looking for a four stroke and I'm not up to date on the kiddie bikes. Any help would be appreciated.

F

The PW series are both 2 strokes. They have a pw50 and a pw80.

The ttr's start with the TTR50, then 90, then 125 for kids. The YZ85 is close to the size of the TTR125 but has more power and better suspension.

How old are your kids and how big are they?

Don't overlook the kawasaki/suzuki or KTM 65 2 strokes either. They're mid sized and big on power.

Girl = 5.5

Boy = 2.5

I'd like to steer away from 2 smokes. Basically, I'm not stuck on Yamahogs, so I'm open to any brand so long they are kid friendly. The KTM's ar a little much on price and speed.

Boy, TTR50 easy. They make training wheels for them and I have seen several 3 year olds riding them.

The girl though is kind of in between the TTR50 and the TTR90. She won't really be ready for the 90 until she's 7 or possibly 8, but she will probably be a little tall for the 50.

However that said, I'd start her on the 50 anyway. Being flat footed will help build confidence for her and make it easier to learn. Girls need a little more easing into the sport so it will probably be a great starter bike for her.

I'd say still go to a nearby dealer and trial fit and do an interest survey for them... See what gets them excited...

At their sizes I wouldn't even consider an offering from another maker. The Yammies have that age covered really well.

Jeeze.... excited? They won't leave me alone after getting the TTR125. One ride and it was on. I'm gonna have to get them something soon. Thanks for the info, I'll pass by the Yammy shop this week.

TTR50? uh no. There is absolutely no need to recommend that bike to anyone unless you want to pit race it... and lose to the xr50's.

first off, why the heck would XXXR be interested in buying a BRAND NEW 2006-2007 bike for his kids when he could just buy something used that will last just as long and still be going by the time the kids are ready to upgrade.

second, just because the TTR50 is NEW, doesnt mean its BETTER then everything else. Seems like a novelty to me when theres plenty of old stuff already on the market more then capable. Its so ridiculous, what the heck are your kids going to do on a TTR50 that they cant do on lets say an older XR50..thats been in production since the stone age. what about the KLX 110? great for starters.. and will last MUCH longer when they grow into it... heck youl probably end up keeping it cause its so much darn fun to ride.

And what is wrong with a PW50? just because its a 2 stroke? the pw50 is whisper quiet, easy to operate, ZERO maintenance, peppy, everything you would expect a 4 stroke to be.. but arnt. The thing is a freaking tank, the motor will take the biggest thrashing known to man and still start right up.

Its just so funny that there has to be a 4 stroke version of everything... comon.. TTR50? dont think yamaha had the market covered with the pw50 pw80 TTR90?

I say get a KLX/DRZ 110

if you need smaller... find an old xr50 or pw50 to beat around on. depending on whether you want auto or 3-speed semi.

TTR50? uh no. There is absolutely no need to recommend that bike to anyone unless you want to pit race it... and lose to the xr50's.

first off, why the heck would XXXR be interested in buying a BRAND NEW 2006-2007 bike for his kids when he could just buy something used that will last just as long and still be going by the time the kids are ready to upgrade.

second, just because the TTR50 is NEW, doesnt mean its BETTER then everything else. Seems like a novelty to me when theres plenty of old stuff already on the market more then capable. Its so ridiculous, what the heck are your kids going to do on a TTR50 that they cant do on lets say an older XR50..thats been in production since the stone age. what about the KLX 110? great for starters.. and will last MUCH longer when they grow into it... heck youl probably end up keeping it cause its so much darn fun to ride.

And what is wrong with a PW50? just because its a 2 stroke? the pw50 is whisper quiet, easy to operate, ZERO maintenance, peppy, everything you would expect a 4 stroke to be.. but arnt. The thing is a freaking tank, the motor will take the biggest thrashing known to man and still start right up.

Its just so funny that there has to be a 4 stroke version of everything... comon.. TTR50? dont think yamaha had the market covered with the pw50 pw80 TTR90?

I say get a KLX/DRZ 110

if you need smaller... find an old xr50 or pw50 to beat around on. depending on whether you want auto or 3-speed semi.

Who pissed on your corn flakes?

Here's the skinny kid... If you can afford to buy new, new is ALWAYS better. Note I didn't say usually, I said always better. Buying a bike for his 2 kids to learn on is a big deal. And having a safe, reliable bike is a big deal. I say if he can afford to buy new then he should do just that.

I have 3 bikes in the garage that I bought new and I don't regret a single one of them either.

And just where do you get off recommending a drz110 for a friggin 2 year old?!?!?!?

?

Wow... Just wow. Go away troll.

look man, im not trying to scam anyone here.

you buy new, I buy used. If you got the money, sure, new is better. But there are far better deals on used bikes, that you can add after market parts and still be way under the price of something new. but as far as the minis, I just dont see spending full price on something that is going to be a stepping stone. Safety reasons? Alittle inspection and maintenance go a long way. it is only 1200, but youl still get slapped in the face buying new.. always will.

You are correct in my first recommendation, 2 1/2 and 5 1/2 are too young for a 110. But the xr50/z50 and pw50/jr50 are still valid contenders. You could even look around and get 2 of them for real cheap.

whats worse then benchwarming when your family is out ridding? ?

You could even look around and get 2 of them for real cheap.

whats worse then benchwarming when your family is out ridding? :ride:

You definitely got me dead to rights there... Sitting out sucks.

Sorry if I sounded harsh up there, every once in a while when I get up in the morning I'm a major crab. ?

Guys - can't we just all get along? lol

yeah, only issue I have with 2 smokes is the extra crap I gotta lug around the garage. I figure with two PW's it wouldn't be a big deal. XR50's go for about 200-400 more than the PW's and JR's. Guess it's because of the mini trend going on. I'm pretty open to anything so the advice you guys shoot back and forth is appreciated.

My kids are young and will definitely need an upgrade IF the end up liking it. (Which I'm sure they will) No rockets needed here, but It would be nice to end up with something solid. I just bought the TTR, so cheaper is better. Unless I find a cheap XR, I may have to go PW.

THANKS GUYS!

So I won't bore the crew any longer here, but I thought I'd let you know what I've learned.

PW and JR = 1 gear, 2 smoke = RED sticker if 2002 and newer. :ride:

XR and CRF and NEW TTR 50 = 3 gear, 4 stroke = Greenie ?

I found a JR, 2000 in practically new condition plus all the kiddie gear for 800 bucks. Power is weak, but perfect for my kids. (XR is more powerful and 3 geared) GREENIE, so I am happy. Bought a set of the better training wheels, although they almost put me flat on my face as you cannot lean into a turn with them. It was their first time in Hollister, and I spent 99% of the time riding them than riding myself. To tell you the truth, I didn't even complain. Watching your kids get excited about something you love is a kick in the ass.

Cheers.

I hate to do this guys, but the Suzuki guys are lame. (Sorry if you own one) Very unresponsive. This section of the forum has not only been a wealth of info, but has great comradery to boot. Okay enough of that.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=403592

Basically, I was just wondering if I should mess with the main jet on the JR since it seems to pull better at 3/4 throttle.

THANKS!