helmet life

For mx or woods riding? Mine get beat to hell in about a year of smashing my head into trees and stuff. I suppose if you were a nancy boy MX guy they might last a little longer though.

Oh no they don't MR.Woodsridingguy, MX guys heads swell up from being so cool and break their helmets.

Depends - if you have a sweaty head not very long ... the smell will drive you to buy a new one quite often.

Then there is the amount of times you decide to bounce your head on the ground with it in the helmet - this drastically shortens the life span

Then it depends if you are a MX'r then you will probably wax the paint off of it trying to make it look pretty...

If you are a woods/ trail rider guy and don't duck for low branches it won't last very long neither - but you won't worry about the helmet getting scratched, just breaking off visors all the time.

:crazy::ride::busted::busted:?:ride::ride:?:ride:

W_w_2

Depends - if you have a sweaty head not very long ... the smell will drive you to buy a new one quite often.

Then there is the amount of times you decide to bounce your head on the ground with it in the helmet - this drastically shortens the life span

Then it depends if you are a MX'r then you will probably wax the paint off of it trying to make it look pretty...

If you are a woods/ trail rider guy and don't duck for low branches it won't last very long neither - but you won't worry about the helmet getting scratched, just breaking off visors all the time.

:busted::busted::busted::ride::ride::crazy::ride:?:ride:

W_w_2

So if you put a duck on your helmet, you will not hit branches and low trees ?:ride:

:busted::ride::eek::eek:?:ride::ride:?:ride:

W_w_2

WW2,

you don't you realize the importance of a freshly waxed helmet when doing the Bubba Scrub, cuts down on wind resistance allowing a smoother and more fluid take off and landing , sheesh, we can tell which woods guys have been bangin trees to often , often, :crazy::ride::busted: often,often,often ,often ,often ,often,often,often :busted: dam I hate it when that last concussion comes back to haunt me

this thread is like ten minutes old and its total derailed ?

anyway my buddy wished the visor broke when a vine riped him off of the bike ? of course we had swapped bikes so he dumped mine :ride:

anyway i had heard helmets degrade with time but i guess its not a concern in woods/mx because they get so beat up.

With the typical amount of wax applied by the typical stealthy MXER, scratches are easily buffed out, but too much wax will increase the weight of the helmet substantially. To much polishing of the helmet (expecially if it is purple) may cause tennis elbow.

WW2,

sheesh, we can tell which woods guys have been bangin trees to often

I think we are talking about a different kind of helmet than you are.

All this talk about waxing things and bangin trees. I need to go home and see the wife for a few.

I think we are talking about a different kind of helmet than you are.

All this talk about waxing things and bangin trees. I need to go home and see the wife for a few.

?:ride:?:ride::ride::crazy: Reminds me of that joke with Tarzan kicking his wife before he nailed her...

One day Jane met Tarzan in the jungle.

She was very attracted to him and during her questions about his life, she asked him how he managed for sex.

'What's that?' he asked.

She explained to him what sex was and he said, 'Oh, Tarzan use hole in trunk of tree.

'Horrified, she said, 'Tarzan, you have it all wrong! I will show you how to do it properly.'

She took off her clothes, laid down on the ground, and spread her legs.

'Here,' she said, pointing, 'You must put it in here.'

Tarzan removed his loincloth, stepped closer, and then gave her an almighty kick in the crotch.

Jane screamed and rolled around in agony for several minutes.

Eventually, she managed to gasp, 'What the hell did you do that for ?'

'Tarzan always check for bees.'

I ride mostly trails and woods, not really boucning off of trees or large branches, and my helmet only has a few scratches. The only impact it's substained is when i dropped it in my garage, i've never fallin at any speed. I got my current helmet June 2005 and i plan on replacing it this fall. Usually when the season starts to wind down, late September/October, my dealer has a big sale on helmets, goggles, shirts, pants, gloves etc. Depending on how you ride and what impact it's substained my guess is the average life is between a 1 and 2 years, maybe a little less or little more depending on riding style.

I'm sure the magazine guys replaced ALL their stuff constantly. Hell, they get it all free anyway, so why not, right? I'd have new gear every week if somebody'd give it to me. For most gear, it's easy to tell when it's won out. Boots lose thier support, pants and jerseys get ripped. Helmets, I'd say every couple of years, barring any major impacts.

i replace my helmet about every 6 months providing i have not landed on my head at all.

If you hit your head hard enough to get any sort of head ache it needs to be replaced. they are designed to with stand ONE impact.

yes it gets expensive but if you acually care about your self it is worth the extra money to keep a GOOD helmet, that isnt damaged on your head.