Sign in to follow this  

KTM or Husky

I'm thinking about getting a new enduro bike. While it doesn't have to be "new" bike, I would like to be able to tag it in Georgia so from what I understand it can't have the "off road use only" mso. '06 Husky TE450 or TE510 are street legal for sure. '07 KTM enduro bikes will be legal as well.

I'll be riding some enduros, fire roads, woods, and ORV areas in north Georgia. The only street use will be sections of enduros and dual sport rides and maybe getting from one trail to another. Minimal street use, but needs to be legal. I've got two street bikes for street rides.

Which KTM would you recommend? I'm thinking about the 450 or 525 EXC?

Compare the KTM to the TE450 or TE510 Husky.

Does anyone know for sure if the older ('04 '05 '06) KTMs can be tagged in Georgia? They have made it near impossible to get a bike tagged that was intended by the mfg for off road use only, but I have heard that the KTMs could still be tagged. What's different about the KTMs? Do they have a title? A NHTSC sticker? MSO does not specify off road use only? Also I've heard that only the original owner can get the KTM tagged. Sort of a one time shot at it.

Thanks,

James

I got a plate for my SX without even putting lights or anything on it. Just look at the certificate of origion. If it says "off road use only" you are SOL. If it says "Motorcycle" like mine did, I just bought insurance and went to the DMV and got a plate. THEN I bought lights and stuff to make it almost leagal. It all depends on your state.

Does anyone know for sure if the older ('04 '05 '06) KTMs can be tagged in Georgia? They have made it near impossible to get a bike tagged that was intended by the mfg for off road use only, but I have heard that the KTMs could still be tagged. What's different about the KTMs? Do they have a title? A NHTSC sticker? MSO does not specify off road use only? Also I've heard that only the original owner can get the KTM tagged. Sort of a one time shot at it

Wow alot of questions - I have been successful in the past with some older KTMs - Title didn't have "off-road only or closed-course" just said motorcycle. No emmision testing required. Did spend to get the lighting system up to DOT standards.

The least hassle and worry would be to get a new road legal Husky or KTM and walk out of the dealer with the bike and dealer plates.

With the older bikes there is always the worry that you won't be successful and you're out the cash for whatever upgrades you put into it. On the otherhand you might get it on the first try - Sorry no info on Georgia I did it out west.

One more thing - if you do go the older bike route - never ever say, or answer to the words dirtbike, OHV, etc. Always say motorcycle