Sign in to follow this  

fork tubes = handling ???

I have heard you can move the fork tubes up or down in the triple trees to adjust ride height . Is this correct ? if so how does it affect the bikes handling ? :thumbsup:

Moving them up quickens steering and lowering them gives straight line stability

Quicker steering can also feel more flighty and seems to have more of a tendency for tankslappers.

Thanks ! now that I know I will play with it A bit . What does it measure from the factory ?how do you measure this adjustment ?

The simple method of measurement is from top of triple clamp to top of fork tube.

Quicker steering can also feel more flighty and seems to have more of a tendency for tankslappers.

I'll bite....what is a tank slapper? :thumbsup:

Like said before when you lower the tripples on the forks you get quicker steering. It will also tuck (low side) the front tire in a turn alot easier. So you need to find a happy medium.

I'll bite....what is a tank slapper? :thumbsup:

When your front ends starts to wobble beyond control, called a tank slapper because at some point in the experience you will flop onto your tank usually with great force.

It's called a tank slapper because the bars are slapping the tank (or, at least, coming close).

I'm with Harp on the tank slapper definition. I've only ever had 'em on street bikes. Scary! :thumbsup:

A tank slapper is indeed the genitals hitting the gas tank with great force! :thumbsup::ride:

A tank slapper is indeed the genitals hitting the gas tank with great force! :applause::applause:

:ride:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tankslapper

http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&tsn=2&tid=17182&webtag=ab-motorcycles

:thumbsup:

If you raise the forks (drop the front of the bike) too much, you will reduce rake/trail to a degree that stability is compromised and the risk for a tankslapper is increased. The result of a tank slapper may be the sucking up of your genitals into your abdomen, but it is not the definition. :applause:

:applause:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tankslapper

http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&tsn=2&tid=17182&webtag=ab-motorcycles

:thumbsup:

If you raise the forks (drop the front of the bike) too much, you will reduce rake/trail to a degree that stability is compromised and the risk for a tankslapper is increased. The result of a tank slapper may be the sucking up of your genitals into your abdomen, but it is not the definition. :applause:

I stand corrected. :applause: Apparently what i have been calling a tank slapper all these years was actually the end result of a tank slapper. :applause::ride::applause:

Like said before when you lower the tripples on the forks you get quicker steering. It will also tuck (low side) the front tire in a turn alot easier. So you need to find a happy medium.

so the front wheel will slide more when the fork tubes are up(lowering the bike)? I thought more weight on the front wheel will increase steering.. :thumbsup:

so the front wheel will slide more when the fork tubes are up(lowering the bike)? I thought more weight on the front wheel will increase steering.. :thumbsup:

Remember there are trade-offs no matter what kind of suspension adjustment you make. Lowering the front reduces/rake trail which makes the bike easier to turn and, if your not careful, tuck the tire. It also moves the weight bias forward, although I don't know how measurable it would be. Even if it is significantly more weight on the front, at some point during a turn it stops being an advantage and turns into a disadvantage (or vice versa depending on other factors).

It all depends on your area of riding on how you should adjust them...

If you are a woods rider you definitely want fast handling/steering so you will run your forks with the triple clamp down from the top of the fork suspension somewhat...You do need to find a happy medium but there is quite a bit of room for optimization based upon where you will be riding...If you are riding open desert type terrain then you will normally bring the triple clamp to near or at the top of the fork tube as that will help you prevent high speed endos and improve straight line stability...Small changes up and down result in dramatic changes to the steering and stability...Having the clamps too high on the suspension for a woods rider will result in a bike that's more difficult to steer quickly and can wash out the wheel...Having the clamps too low on the fork tubes for a highspeed desert rider can lead to tank slappers/endos and lots of broken bones. :thumbsup:

I just started thinking about this potential adjustment.

I've raised the back of my stock '04 drz400s a bit for proper sag (via spring 'ring' adjustment I'd guess you'd call it). I metioned that to a group during a ride and they said "what? you raised it?" I'm almost 6'2 @ 195lbs.

Forks are still as they were from Suz. I wouldn't mind quicker low speed/woods turning and don't quite need that full 11 inches (or whatever) of ground clearence or high speed stability (I'm convinced if I ride too much on the street around here I'll die, regardless of skill and caution).

Anyway, I'm thinking 1/2 inch lower might be the place to start. Is that too much? Too little?

Most importantly, I'm sure there's a right way and a wrong way to make such an adjustment (allignment wise?). I could use common sense, but that doesn't mean it's the right way. Please post any procedures you know of...

Thanks. Drew