Sign in to follow this  

Header Pipe Dent Restrictions????

That is a tough one,the dent is pretty close to the exhaust waves exiting at full strength,but the dent itself is somewhat minor.Me personally, I would have it fixed or replaced,the reason I would do either is because I am unsure about it.

I.E. if you don know what the the freezer method is, fill the header with water, place upright in freezer (of course) and the dent should pop itself out.

Thanks, I will try the freezer method to fix the dent, but still curious if it would actually effect the performance?

Thanks, I will try the freezer method to fix the dent, but still curious if it would actually effect the performance?

the dyno'd some two strokes with dents in the pipe, some small dents close to the case accually made power in 1 case. but, i think it was probably 1 in a million or there abouts. in a 4 stroke its way different, and indeed needs to be fixed.

The location of your dent, in the middle of the first U bend, is in an area where pipe makers will often start stepping up the diameter. Some wait until farther down the pipe, and still others run the pipe one diameter all the way down to the mid pipe. But no one reduces the cross section that close to the head. I've seen weirder things increase power, and without a dyno, there's no way to know, but if I had to bet more than fifty cents, I'd say it would not be beneficial.

I've tried the freezer method on a dent in my header pipe, be prepared to do the freeze and thaw cycle at least 6-8 times to get the dent out.

I just filled the pipe approx. 1/2 full of water, no need to plug the ends.