Sign in to follow this  

Inverted for conversion--yet another question...

Here is question for the inverted fork conversion crowd.

I purchased a brand new entire front end (every single part) of a 2006 CRF250R along and the Emig Racing XR400/CRF fork conversion stem.

One of the "issues" some fork conversion people have noted is that the old XR does not steer as quickly with the inverted fork set-up. I am guessing from eyeballing (I cannot find fork offset specifications anywhere) that the CRF fork has the front axle offset (forward) more than the XR.

That being the case, I can rectify this by either buying a CRF tripleclamp with less offset (a popular mod for the earlier CRFs) or use the Rekluse e-axle.

Any opinions or advise? I am not worried about the cost, I just want to do the job right the first time.

I think the issues you speak of come from the new front forks having more travel than the old ones. This extends the wheelbase and makes the bike not turn as sharp. This e-axle (4mm's of movement) may help this situation but so will raising the forks in the triples as this shortens the wheelbase and promotes sharper cornering. I dont know if I would purchase a new set of triples to change the offset because you might not like the feel of the front wheel being right under the bike so to speak, but you might. It would be nice to be able to try it first just to see. Are you running the stock tank? I've heard the diameter of the new forks allow the lower triples to hit the stock tank before you get full turning radius desired. This might be where the offset triples might come into play, but if you get the wheelbase too short you will experience exagerated headshake at speed. So it is a fine line that needs trial and error to find what works best for you.

I know that you have done the switch and are happy with it. What did you experience relative to the difference in handling, particularing in the steering?

I am installing an A-Loop Kit at the same time. Hopefuly this will negate any tank/tripleclamp interference. By the way, do you have interference issues with your A-loop kit and USD forks?

I know that you have done the switch and are happy with it. What did you experience relative to the difference in handling, particularing in the steering?

I am installing an A-Loop Kit at the same time. Hopefuly this will negate any tank/tripleclamp interference. By the way, do you have interference issues with your A-loop kit and USD forks?

At first test suspension was harsh M/X like in the initial stroke, and felt kinda stretched out (longer wheelbase). I had forks re-valved for enduro work used the stock .45kg springs (I'm 190 lbs.)and I raised the forks in the triples 11mm's per my suspension guru's advice (to balance the suspension). I feel it corners much better than stock. I also use the Air Cells on the twin chambered forks which allows you to use the travel provided more effectively (more air spring). I am using the ALoop kit also and the front end feels more planted than before. I have no clearance issues with this tank and have had no issues in the tight switchbacks at enduro events. Make your steering stops adjustable and your turning radius should not be an issue. I have mine adjusted to maximum side to side capabilities of my steering stabilizer as mounted. Could adjust it to turn about 5 mm's further with a different stabilizer mount, but I feel it will knife in if it turns much further. I like it as is is, now on to the rear end to make it as plush and user friendly as the front. These mods just seem to spoil you and make you do other extreme modifications, it is addicting.

Thanks for the comments. I am looking for a much stiffer front end for MX/GP and WORCS type riding. Sounds like your Race Tech Shock will be just the ticket to match the fork conversion. Keep me in line for you stock shock when you get you Ohlins.