race around the lake

today was the first day to sign up for the race on-line but a sign-up

form didn't up and the phone number dosn't work. any one had any

luck getting thru? would like to get camping info also.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem, actually, I just Googled the thing and that's the first that came up. Looks pretty cool, but false advertising eh? "race around the lake", more like "race near one tiny part of the lake and then ride off somewhere other than a lake".

I am very interested in starting to race. I would be a beginer in the 250/450 class. I am curious about a few things that you guys might be able to answer....Do I need some special sort of insurance to race. I have insurance through work but do I need something more than that. Also I am wondering do I need to become a member of the AMA or another organization? I looked at the sign ups online and didnt see much to answer any of these questions. I have been trying to ride and get myself ready for racing in 07 so I think this might be a good way to get started. And to top it off I grew up in Castaic and rode probably almost all of the course at one time or another on my mountain bike. So I think it would be a great place to get started. If anyone can chime in I would really appreciate it! ?

PS I saw that there was a liability release and thats about it.

No club, no ama, just pay to race! No insurance needed.

It's runs on pavement, walkways through the park and back into the hills, it starts where the old castic MX track used to be. Fun race last yr but never produced any results for alot of classes. Not to mention they charge for everything including taken a shit! ? J/k kind of! :ride:

No club, no ama, just pay to race! No insurance needed.

It's runs on pavement, walkways through the park and back into the hills, it starts where the old castic MX track used to be. Fun race last yr but never produced any results for alot of classes. Not to mention they charge for everything including taken a shit! ? J/k kind of! :ride:

Yes, you do need insurance if you get hurt. Perhaps the club doesn't care. This is an issue I am looking into. You might want to covertly ask about your insurance coverage, as in, "What are the exclusions, such as if I go skydiving or scuba diving?" If you have group insurance and the injury is small, no one will bat an eye. If you get hauled off in an ambulance and have a spinal injury, there could be problems.

Depending on your age, you might want to race your age group. More Vet riders have to go to work on Monday morning.

Ok so it sort of sounds like this to me........if I end up getting hurt and can physically take myself to the hospital and there is no shall we say "PROOF" that I was involved in an organized race....then I am good. Now like Kev-XR mentioned.....if it is more serious then that and I have to be shall we asy removed from the event....then I will run into problems.

Ok I would like your guys opinion..I am a pretty decent trail rider.....can keep up with most people except for the really fast ones. I can ride technical single track to open desert. Yet I have never entered a race. What would be a good class to start off with? I was thinking the beginer class just so I am not in over my head for the first time. Does this sound pretty reasonable or should I go for my age group as mentioned? All opinions appreciated.

It was really fun last year, except for they only showed the top 3 finishers in each class, argh! They are using transponders this year so we'll see how that goes. Last year's ROTL was my first race, I did the 250 Beginner class, finished in the middle somewhere. This year I think I'm gonna do the Vet 30-39 class on the Saturday. I think this is a great race to get your feet wet, I did it for the fun of it and didn't pressure myself. Here's some pics from last year, I'm #27, enjoy! ?

Dead engine start

21322125271.jpg

The "moto" section, start straight leads into the left turn on right of pic

14114110130.jpg

21322152012.jpg

21322133464.jpg

21322143557.jpg

21322120816.jpg

14114003149.jpg

14114031766.jpg

14114013810.jpg

Great pictures socal and for the insight about the race. This would be the first time for me and I was wondering if you would recommend the 40+ vet or 250 beginner class for a first timer. Also how long is the race, is it timed or by laps.

Thanks

SHOULD be 45 mins. or when they decide it's over ?

Friends class only got 30 mins?????

They say they will have transponders to keep track. I'm sure will pay for that as well, since vet X rents them if you don't owe your own.

30+=vets

40+=Sr to bad we don't get a Sr discount :ride:

Great pictures socal and for the insight about the race. This would be the first time for me and I was wondering if you would recommend the 40+ vet or 250 beginner class for a first timer. Also how long is the race, is it timed or by laps.

Thanks

I would do the 250 beginner class like I did. Just do it for fun, stay in the back of the pack if you want. Some guys even made a second row behind me and my buddies. Our class went for "roughly" 45 minutes which for me was like 4 laps. It should be a good day. Also before the first race of the day they let everyone do a put-put lap to see what the track is like, wasnt mentioned on the website so thought I'd share.

And yeah, we will probably have to rent the transponders. Mo-money-mo-money mo-money.