Sign in to follow this  

Will an '06 YZF front end fit on an '02 WR?

Has anybody done this? The bearings are the same, but I wonder if the stops are in the same place, etcetera.

Thanks,

Toby

has to be complete from the wheel to the triple trees.

you will also loose the odometer with the YZ front end

The front wheel and axle are different? That would be a show stopper. How about the caliper?

I've got a legal dual sport, so I want to keep the frame. Registering an '06 would be expensive (not to mention buying one).

-Toby

Here's what you need to do. The 06 clamp will fit but you will have to press your 02 steering shaft into it because in 04 Yamaha made the steering tubes shorter to lose weight. This requires a shorter shaft, they are only about a half inch difference but you still have to swap them. As for the brake, the best thing to do is put the whole brake assembly from the 06 onto the 02, now you have cr brake routing. The stops are a little different because the 06 clamp was made for a thicker, aluminum steering tube but they should work ok. We put an 06 front end on my brothers 2000 yz 250 and the stops did not affect how far the bars could be turned. You could always grind a little off the stop if you had to.