Sign in to follow this  

Front Suspension Preload

Does a 2005 E model have internal or external top out springs? :ride: This is a question in the Race Tech fork spring installation instructions for determining proper set length for preload adjustment. The instructions also mention spacers (cut to proper length) sandwiched by steel washers for setting preload, but the bike did not have these stock, nor did any come in the kit. The kit did include a bunch of steel washers. Are these all that is required for setting the preload (adding/subtracting washers for desired setting)? :thumbsup:

Thanks!!

The spacers you need to cut (when searching this forum) are 1 1/4" pvc pipe. Non-scientific, but the only race tech front spring for a DRZ400 i've seen measured right at 20 inches. The stock spring was maybe 1/8" or 3/16" longer. Being lazy, i threw the 3 washers and the stock washer in, reassembled everything, and checked out the race sag on the front end. Turned out to be about 2 7/8" inches of sag with me standing on the pegs. That is pretty close to the 25-28% (of 11.3" of travel as per the suzuki spec) race tech recommends.

But, there is no way forks can be that simple. Pretty new to wrenching on bikes, and this is definitely the first time i've touched a fork. I thought i got the springs in wrong or broke something the first 2 times, because the springs or washers sounded like they were wearing holes on the inside of the tube. The second attempt probably took an entire hour and 15 minutes from start to being ready to ride again, including a few rehydration and dehydration breaks. There is no way i got things within the suggested baselines the first time out. I might look into it again when the shock spring gets installed, but for right now i'll just keep riding a bike that is completely out of balance front to back. A bit of bouncing around got rid of the squeaky springs too.

And no, i don't know if they have internal or external top outs. I had no deadline and wasn't charging myself 60 bucks an hour, and the world wouldn't end if i didn't get it exactly right the first time. If i could read what i am posting right now last night, i wouldn't have been so frustrated with the TT search engine being shut down due to traffic.

I don't know what is meant by internal or extrnal top-out springs. I'd call them internal, they are inside the damper cartridge, but what differene would it make anyway. You use plastic pipe for large adjustments of preload and washers for finer adjustments.

According to the instructions the difference between internal or external top out springs matters in regard to how you measure the zero preload setting. You need this number to calculate the length of spacer required to achieve the desired amount of preload.

According to a local Suzuki dealer (though this service guy didn't sound real confident) the DRZ has internal top out springs, which means they are inside the actual cartridge. This seems right, but can anyone confirm for sure?