subframe

ok i have a 03 wr 450 and i some how managed to brake the sub frame :ride: on the lower right hand side i got it welded but it broke agin in the same spot. a new subframe will cost $302 for a wr

?

does any one know if a yzf subframe will fit cus i was told it wuld and i can get one for $150

thanks for the help

ok i have a 03 wr 450 and i some how managed to brake the sub frame :ride: on the lower right hand side i got it welded but it broke agin in the same spot. a new subframe will cost $302 for a wr

?

does any one know if a yzf subframe will fit cus i was told it wuld and i can get one for $150

thanks for the help

No, the part numbers are different. You can go out to Yamaha's web site and look up numbers... here you go.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx

The trouble with welding Aluminum is you end up with a heat effected zone of about 1" on either side of the weld where the material strength is significantly reduced. The subframe should be repairable if you can determine the actual material (probable 6061 but could also be 6005, 6063, 7005,7075 + many others), find a good welder that is experienced in welding different alu,inum alloys and then find someone to reheat treat the frame. For the frame to live, it MUST be re heat treated.

ok i have a 03 wr 450 and i some how managed to brake the sub frame ? does any one know if a yzf subframe will fit cus i was told it wuld and i can get one for $150. thanks for the help
No, the part numbers are different. You can go out to Yamaha's web site and look up numbers... here you go.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx

Often the different part numbers may simply be due to a different color or finish, so don't let that dissuade you.

Also, there are plenty of subframes on eBay that sell for much less than $150.

Snag a YZ subframe off eBay and have someone with a welder add or subtract brackets so it will work. Honestly, how different can they be? Same attachment points for the seat, fender and silencer as a YZ, right? ? Do whatever it takes to go riding! :ride: