Sign in to follow this  

TE610 broken starter clutch!

Has anyone else had this problem? Heard a nasty grinding noise while starting, took off the side cover and this is what I found. :thumbsup:

Luckily my dealer (Halls cycles in Springfield, Ill., highly recommended!) is going to warranty this long distance. Just have to send the old one back to them.

7c5e2ba65d.jpg

That is horrible. I have an 06 te610 and I keep reading about these nightmares. Please tell more. How many miles do you have? Did you figure out why that happened? Was an end bolt loose when you took it apart?

Nothing was loose, but there's really nothing to be loose on the starter clutch. It just sort of rides between the case and cover. This happened at 900 miles, btw. A few days before I noticed a slight grinding noise on kickback after shutting off the engine. Didn't always do it, but then the engine doesn't always kick back when shut down. Then Sunday it started grinding while starting. Decided it was time to pull the cover!

I think this is just a case of a freak defective part. There are three of these little gears in the clutch (they actually ride on the starter) and one of them broke. It was still turning over with the other two, but the misaligned broken one was causing the noise. The dealer says they have never had any starter problems on 610s yet. Lucky me! :thumbsup:

i had this kind of problem on my 04 Tc 250 the starter clutch was on its way out and my starter gear had teeth missing from it and it used to make a grinding noise when i turned it off and when i started it up. but all is good now as the dealer put the 450 starter motor and gearing and clutch in my bike and is now better than before and the good thing was it was all done under warranty