Sign in to follow this  

suspension maintenance

1.) how hard is it to change fork seals

2.) what maintenance is needed on the shock if any

3.) I want to hit the track next season but I weigh 285 so I definitely need a re-spring and re-valve but I don't know how long I am gonna keep the ol 426 I want an 06 yz450f but this winter I am gonna try and just loose weight and get down to 200lbs so I will be in the weight range for my suspension

4.) how much is it typically to get a re-spring and re-valve I was thinking of going to tech-care because I live near them and I hear good things about them but it says like 149.95+parts so how much will parts be??

I was just gonna take my forks and shock off take them up there and have it done in the near future and just have them overhauled but it looks like its gonna be expensive

oh and does straping your bike down hurt your fork seals??

For the full boat deal like springs, revalve & rebuild, expect to pay 6-850 bucks. Depends on if anything "unusual" is worn...I pulled a set of 99 YZ400 forks apart a couple of weeks ago...they had NEVER been touched. Absolutely killed! Cartridge rods rusted, upper tubes scored badly, chrome scored...JUNK!

Bought a set of 2003 YZ450 forks off eBay for $122.00 shipped to the front door! They had been revalved by ProAction and the oil looked brand new...

I odnt think they are shot like that every thing feels smooth and free but when I was up north I noticed the fork seals where seeping and I just want the respring the oil probably needs to be changed also

I think Tech Care is one of the "good" guys in the business, not an "upseller", but you are still looking at another nearly $200.00 for the springs!

SO? My guesstimate is:

$300.00 for rebuild and revalve both ends (labor)

$200.00 for springs

150-200 parts + oil

Total=$650.00

It ain't cheap but it will feel much better!

I dunno because my one uncle had it done on his yz250f but he had a bunch of stuff done like the respring, sub tanks, revalve, and he had them pack all the bearings and stuff with grease and every time I talk to my other uncle he says its like 1500 for just a respring and revalve I can't see that but 650 I can handle that