Sign in to follow this  

Moving to Northwest.. part 2

I posted a while back about our impending move to the Northwest and now it is time to go. My wife is flying out thursday to find us a house in either the Portland and outlying area or the Vancouver and outlying areas.

Sooo.... pro's and con's on each? I am a masonry contractor and it seems that there is work in both areas. ANY feedback would be greatly appreciated! Yes, I know it rains there but compared to 110 degrees that would be a nice change.

Thanks in advance... :thumbsup:

If you live in Vancouver and work in Portland the traffic across the bridge sucks.

all in all I like Vancouver myself.

Sooo.... pro's and con's on each?

:ride: Seems the main growth pattern is westward from about every major residential center in the Portland and Salem areas. Living in WA and working in OR is very popular, but getting over The River is a pain like drz103 said. :cry:

Since you are a contractor, and masonry is very popular in up-scale residential housing, and much of the 'west-side' stuff is up-scale, me thinks you would do well to look west of Portland to reside and work...you're also a lot closer to the primo trails!! :ride:(Sorry WA guys, you have to admit, the Tillmook State Forest, with all it's drawbacks, has Jones Creek beat for any 1-day ride...making enemies here!!!) Sea green was the closest thing I could find for ENVY

Vancouver to Portland is not always bad. I live just across the 205 bridge in Vancouver and never have problems. But if you need to cross the Interstate bridge on I-5 then the southboud a.m. and northbound p.m. commutes are terrible. But in all honesty all of Porltand/Vancouver and surrounding has outgrown the current road system so traffic is always pretty heavy.

:applause: Seems the main growth pattern is westward from about every major residential center in the Portland and Salem areas. Living in WA and working in OR is very popular, but getting over The River is a pain like drz103 said. :ride:

Since you are a contractor, and masonry is very popular in up-scale residential housing, and much of the 'west-side' stuff is up-scale, me thinks you would do well to look west of Portland to reside and work...you're also a lot closer to the primo trails!! :thumbsup:(Sorry WA guys, you have to admit, the Tillmook State Forest, with all it's drawbacks, has Jones Creek beat for any 1-day ride...making enemies here!!!) Sea green was the closest thing I could find for ENVY

I agree. There is a lot of housing development being done in Sherwood, Newberg, Lafayette and McMinnville right now. I live in Newberg and there are several developments going up right now and I do not see any end in sight. Depending on where your wife is working, you might want to consider the Sherwood area which is SW of Portland.

If you live in Vancouver I'd suggest moving to the east part of town (Fishers Landing/Cascade Park). It's one of the nicer areas up there. A little further up north is Salmon Creek. That's also very nice.

Portland is MUCH more expensive to live in. 4th most expensive city (Seattle being #1) in the nation to live in. I don't know how they come up with that figure, but that's what is said.

East Portland is pretty much crap. The only areas I would nice over there would be the Troutdale/Fairview/Gresham or Clackamas/Gladstone/Milwauke areas. When I buy a house I'll be looking into Fairview area myself. To save of course, I'm a bigger fan of the west side of town.

Beaverton, Lake Oswego (super expensive), Tigard, Hillsboro (really developing out there too) are all good places to live. Sherwood wouldn't be too bad either. Newburg starts to get a little ways out from the main part of town.

Do you know what areas you'll specifically be living in?

Newberger here. I agree that Newberg is out a little from the main part of town. I don't know that I would want to commute to downtown every day, but a commute to Beaverton, Hillsboro, Lake Oswego, or anywhere in the SW Portland metro area isn't bad. I commuted to Lake Oswego for about 4 years until I couldn't afford the gas anymore. :thumbsup: The nice part about Newberg is that the housing isn't as expensive as Portland, however, prices are going up more every day.

I didn't see the original post, so I don't know if kids are involved or if the plan is to rent or purchase a home. These things, in conjunction with where exactly work is located, certainly would have an influence.

So, Clayman, did your wife find any areas out here that she liked?

Portland is MUCH more expensive to live in. 4th most expensive city (Seattle being #1) in the nation to live in. I don't know how they come up with that figure, but that's what is said.

sonic...HUH??? where did you get that from??? housing ALONE in san fran,la,nyc is 2-3 times as much as seattle.

Joe

That's been the pole for the last few years... Like national poles listed on MSN and such. Doesn't make sense to me either.

Like I said, I have no idea how they get that figure. I think it has somewhat to do with what kind of jobs are available in the area. Which doesn’t make sense though, Seattle aint really hurting too bad for high end tech jobs hahaa. Amazon, Microsoft, Nintendo, Boing, etc.

Same with Portland, we've got a lot of jobs available too. Intel, Nike, Google, HP, Nautilus, Walcom...

I did some searching today, and the poles really vary. I think that the beginning of the year they had something on MSN and other news sources.

Sea green was the closest thing I could find for ENVY

ha, you must not know many of the JC trails:)

Joe...........

I posted a while back about our impending move to the Northwest and now it is time to go. My wife is flying out thursday to find us a house in either the Portland and outlying area or the Vancouver and outlying areas.

Sooo.... pro's and con's on each? I am a masonry contractor and it seems that there is work in both areas. ANY feedback would be greatly appreciated! Yes, I know it rains there but compared to 110 degrees that would be a nice change.

The tax issue will be a factor. WA has no income tax but a nice sales tax, Oregon has income tax but no sales tax. If you have kids, you may want to live in WA,,, the schools in WA are having less budget issues than Portland Schools.

Joe.........

sonic...HUH??? where did you get that from??? housing ALONE in san fran,la,nyc is 2-3 times as much as seattle.

Joe

This was figured out by the cost of living/ housing expenses to income ratio. Seattle was the most expensive city to live in. All the prices took a boom with the .com industry, but when a lot of them failed in the market crash the prices of everything continued to grow, but the salaries stayed the same.

As for the topic of Portland, I believe the best issue is to live in Oregon and work in Washington. No sales tax in Oregon, but income tax and sales tax in Washington, but no income tax. So in this situation you will get the best of both worlds.. :thumbsup:

Income tax is based on where you live, not where you work. So you'd want to live in Wa, and work (or just shop) in OR

If you work in Oregon you have to pay income tax to Oregon no matter where you live.

Correct.

Sales tax really isn’t that big of a deal though. If it's any sort of substantial purchase you just go across the river. There's shopping centers set up on both sides setup for this exact reason.

As the phrase goes...... nothing in Vancouver costs over $100

Someone suggested live in Oregon and work in Washington and that it was the best of both worlds. Correct me if I am wrong, but if you live in Oregon, I believe you will still have to pay Oregon income tax even though your job is in WA.

Can someone verify this is true?

Do you still have to let someone pump your gas for you in Oregon?

A little off subject, but that just boggles my mind? :thumbsup:

Do you still have to let someone pump your gas for you in Oregon?

A little off subject, but that just boggles my mind? :thumbsup:

Why would we want to get out of our car and get our hands dirty/stinky when we don't have to?

And if you think your saving money by pump'n your own gas, I've got bad news for you!

Someone suggested live in Oregon and work in Washington and that it was the best of both worlds. Correct me if I am wrong, but if you live in Oregon, I believe you will still have to pay Oregon income tax even though your job is in WA.

Can someone verify this is true?

If you live in Oregon, you pay Oregon income tax,, even if you work in WA.

Joe.......