Jeep Wranglers

I have a 2000 F-150 6in lift and 35's. I have been thinking about getting a jeep wrangler for a while now. I am almost certain i would get better gas mileage. I just can't decide if it is something that i would be happy with for a long time. I just want to hear everyones opinion on the wranglers. I do like to four wheel and i would be more willing to take a Jeep over my current truck. I don't usually haul my bike in my truck bed because i have a three rail trailer that i use. I would be looking for a TJ between 2000 and 2003. If anyone can give me their opinion on reliability, comfort, and overall drive-ability i would be much obliged.

Owned one a few years back. Great off road, but a little crude and noisy on the pavement. Great resale value, but that means you will pay more if buying used. I never towed with mine, but there can be issues because of its short wheelbase. I would check into that throughly before you bought one. At one time, there was a recommendation that you avoid towing with the CJ series and the early Wranglers.

Just sold my jeep and bought a f-150. The gas mileage is about the same. They are grat in the summer time but they suck during the winter. The soft top can also be a pain in the ass if the zipper gets stuck. I also have a tree rail trailer that i have pulled my bike with several times in my jeep, i was always a little nervous but nothing bad ever happened it was just a little rough at times. I would love to have a jeep again as my second car not as my primary. One other good thing about the jeep is the that the chicks love them.

The TJ's are pretty reliable & fun to drive....for a short while. I have a 2000TJ with 33" tires & 6" lift. They are noisy & I would never lift over 4" again as I have found it now kinda drives like a "Pogo stick". I bought this Jeep to run my Dog around in so he did't destroy our car. I love the Jeep for weekend rides, however spending much more time in it is not much of a joy.

I own a 98 Wrangler with the 4.0 six. Great motor. Would not even consider one with the 4cyl.

Ours is the automatic. It gets around 19mpg. If I did it again I would get a stick. The auto is a 3sp. The stick is a 5speed. The stick gets around 22mpg on the highway. Big differance.

The jeep will pull your 3 rail easily. I pull a 12ft pop-up with ours. Its ok up to around 55-60mph. Past that it gets a little squirly. Trailer likes to try and pass the jeep. But with the smaller 3-rail you wont have a problem at all. Plenty of power to pull, just not enough wheelbase for much more than a 3-rail.

The jeeps are a choppy ride. The coil spring suspension is worlds better than the old leaf springs of the early 90's. But even so that short wheelbase makes for a choppy ride.

The Jeeps are awsome offroad. Very nimble and manuverable. I can see why so many people like them.

We have the soft top and it is noisy. But thats just the nature of the jeep. If you have to deal with winters I would look for one with the hard top and soft top (they came from the factory that way if ordered that way). Run the hard top in the winter and soft top in the summer. Heat in ours even in the winter is not a problem. They have a killer heater in those things even with the soft top.

If your worried about towing the newer jeeps are offered in a longer wheelbase with more room in the back seat. I bet they would tow better. Even so mine dosn't tow that bad. You just have to remember that you are in a jeep not a F150 and you will be fine.

There is nothing like driving to work with the top down. Gotta love it.

i'm on my third jeep now, had the 4 cylinder for a couple of years, needed a 6 cylinder, so i got a 95. had that 5 years and thought "i'm getting older, maybe it's time for a change" got a brand new z71 chevy truck all decked out and drove that for 6 months. i just was not happy, every time i walked out into a parking lot i wanted to drive out of it in a jeep. they turn on a dime, i love having the doors and top off in the summer and believe it or not, i love the sound of all that rubber running down the road! i now have an 04 lifted 4 inches, 33x12.5 tires a hard top with hoist in the garage and it's an automatic. i had the stick, they may get better gas mileage, but i rarely drive the highway, and don't want to push in no clutch. i get about 15 mpg. i have never had a jeep leave me stranded! i will have this thing until i can not physically get into it! as far as the ride, the 04 is way better than the 95! my 04 suspension feels like my wifes f-250. i don't like the looks of the new ones though. anyway good luck

You really have to be a Jeep person to truely enjoy them. They are really a basic vehicle. I had a 98 4 popper then bought a truck to haul my bike easier. Then got a TJ. Now have a truck and a CJ. Jeeps can be addicting. From my experience they are extremely reliable. 4.0 are excellent engines. My Cj is for off0-raod only but I still enjoy taking on the road every once in awhile. I miss my TJ. I traded it for a Ram. At least I got a Hemi. ? I never had trouble hauling a bike or a quad and bike on a flat bedtrailer. I was able to run 75 -80 with a quad and bike on the back. Gas mileage on that trip wasn't anything to think of though. TJ's have a rated towing capacity of only 2000 lbs. That may be something else you may want to consider. Not sure what you haul or pull. Just somethings to think about. They are a different type of vehicle. There si some truth to the sticker, "It's a Jeep thing, You wouldn't understand."

My DD for years was my 98 TJ 4.0L sport. It was recently retired to toy status. It wasn't a bad dd. A set of quality shocks goes a long way towards helping with the choppy ride. I used Rubicon Express and Edelbrocks on the Jeep and was happy with both. It gets 14mpg running down the freeway at 80. 16-17 at 60-65, but I cannot drive that slow. (It does have a 4" lift and 35's on it) I have a hardtop, as a DD it is nice to have AC when the summer is real hot or in the winter when it is ski season. Also it is lockable. I never put a nice stereo in it and the only thing ever stolen on it were the doors shortly after I moved to LA.

I did once tow my 87 Hurricane 600 and my Mac Toolbox on a 12ft utility trailer across the state. Plenty of power, not enough weight or brakes. 2 dirtbikes should be ok though, be careful the first few timeds though.

In short it is my toy, I love it but it isn't the best dd in the world.

I got a 2000TJ 4.0l 5spd. 4"lift and 33" I get he same mileage as another posted 80 is 14mpg 70 is 15mpg. I think nothing of driving it on a 1000 mile trip and leaving my lifted Excursion at home which gets the same mileage being diesel. I take the hard top and doors off in June and hasn't been back on since.

The new generation Wranglers are pretty decent. I have a Rubicon that I bought new in 04 and love it. Pretty tight and not as noisy as previous generations and drive pretty well. I also tow on occasion a 12-ft box with either a dirt bike or at times my H-D.

You do know its back there and the short w-base is something you have to pay attention to.

I don't use this as a primary vehicle but would have no problem doing so.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/odonnks/P0002156.jpg

I got a 2000TJ 4.0l 5spd. 4"lift and 33" I get he same mileage as another posted 80 is 14mpg 70 is 15mpg. I think nothing of driving it on a 1000 mile trip and leaving my lifted Excursion at home which gets the same mileage being diesel. I take the hard top and doors off in June and hasn't been back on since.

Have you got the Superchip for your Excursion? My pop can squeeze 18mpg out of his 7.3L on the highway. 16-17mpg around town..... ?

I have a 2000 F-150 6in lift and 35's. I have been thinking about getting a jeep wrangler for a while now. I am almost certain i would get better gas mileage. I just can't decide if it is something that i would be happy with for a long time. I just want to hear everyones opinion on the wranglers. I do like to four wheel and i would be more willing to take a Jeep over my current truck. I don't usually haul my bike in my truck bed because i have a three rail trailer that i use. I would be looking for a TJ between 2000 and 2003. If anyone can give me their opinion on reliability, comfort, and overall drive-ability i would be much obliged.

I'm currently doing the same excact thing.I traded my 4x suburban in and our other honda in to get a Honda van for the other half.I'm looking for one w/ a 6 cylinder ''yes'' they aren't that road noise freindly,but better mileage go anywhere i don't need a truck ether i have trailers.I have a couple of buddies that have Jeeps and they love'em won't trade for anything ?