Sign in to follow this  

Air filter cleaning question

Okay i went riding sunday for roughly one hour, i checked out m air filter and there is dirt and dust on it, i want to clean it but i have no cleaner :thumbsup:

My question is what else could i use? Im going to get some cleaner and engine oil at the dealer soon hopfully before this weekend, would gas work?

Also which oil should i go with? thanks.

no gas. it ruins the filter

put a plug in your kitchen sink and fill it with warm water. then dump in a cupfull of laundry detergent. it works awsome.

Okay will do, what about the oil anything speacial or just 4 stroke motorcycle oil?

DO NOT put motor oil on your air filter! Yeah, it might help keep some dust out but they make air filter oil for a reason. I don't want to sound condescending, but do you have any idea how to maintain your bike?

You need oil that is designed for your air filter. PM me if you need help.

DO NOT put motor oil on your air filter! Yeah, it might help keep some dust out but they make air filter oil for a reason. I don't want to sound condescending, but do you have any idea how to maintain your bike?

You need oil that is designed for your air filter. PM me if you need help.

lol i put the words in the incorrect order

I ment about motor oil for the motor, if you see my first post i ask about that as well. i know what air filter oil and cleaner i need since i had it but ran out, ive ran 2 strokes my whole life so i dont know the specs on the 4 stroke motor oil. which is what i was asking in the previous post :ride:

edit: yes i have an idea on how to mantain it but this fourm is for questions right? no offense takin though i can see how i made it sound like i was retarded :thumbsup:

lol i put the words in the incorrect order

I ment about motor oil for the motor, if you see my first post i ask about that as well. i know what air filter oil and cleaner i need since i had it but ran out, ive ran 2 strokes my whole life so i dont know the specs on the 4 stroke motor oil. which is what i was asking in the previous post :thumbsup:

OK, you were freaking me out there for a minute. Many will recommend a motor oil that was designed for motorcycles. I ran Castrol GTX in my bike before going to synthetic. It's designed for "higher revving engines" and does very well with these high-revving performance bikes. You can't go wrong with Castrol. There are plenty of other brands out there that will work fine as well.

No Toil for the ait filter and Honda Oils for the engine and transmission, Have had very good luck with both.

If you are in a pinch and your filter is dirty and you have no cleaner you can surely get away with using gas to clean it. Over time it will hurt the filter but when I was a kid, gas was all we ever used on all of our filters to clean them. Just make sure you dry it off well because if it is still damp from the gas when you put the oil on it it will disolve the oil.

It makes no difference if it is No Toil oil or whatever product you use for oil. Gas will clean all of them. I forgot the No Toil cleaner a couple of weeks ago and used gas instead and the filter was squeeky clean with no repercussions at all.

For years people used gas to clean their filters, it's not the best product to use but it works.

wut kind of laundry detergent? liquid or the powder stuff? i wanna see how well that works. right now, i use gas then hot soapy water.

wut kind of laundry detergent? liquid or the powder stuff? i wanna see how well that works. right now, i use gas then hot soapy water.

either one works but i like the liquid stuff

Yea i thought gas was used to clean the filters.

The laundry one sounds good as well.

The No Toil Cleaner is the same thing as Oxy Clean which can be found at most Pharmacies. I imagine grocery stores might have it too but I haven't been in one of those places in years so I really don't know.

You can put Oxy in your washing machine along with your filters that have been oiled with NO Toil Oil. I have 7 filters and when I get down to the 7th one I throw the other six in the wash and they come out spic and span...

Don't tell your significant other because they flip out a little. What they don't know won't hurt them. It's fine for your washer and leaves no residue at all.

I was going to use my washing machine but i was worried that the oil would bel left in the washer and i didnt want my mom to freak.. I use maxima spray-on(i think the pour on is more penetrating but i feel i get the outside fully covered with spray-on)think that it will leave oil?? Will the washing machine tear the seams???

yeah gas+twin air filters is what I use,Ive washed my twin air filters with gas nearly 30 washes and the filters still in good shape. I ruined my white bros filter with gas tho.