Sign in to follow this  

250f or 450?

I am getting a new bike but im not sure if I should get an 06 250f or 450. I am 5"7" and 130lbs and currently have an 05 yz125. I've ridden 250fs and can ride comfortably on them but im not sure how much power a 450 has. Would it be too much for me?

Id say go for the 250f, get comfortable with the power, and be able to use it. Then a couple years down the road when your good on the 250f and think its time to move up up go for it.

I would get the 250F. I bought mine knowing that a new 450 would be a handful. My buddy that is the same size as me, 5"8 160LBS, bought a 2006 CRF450. He let me ride it and that bike is more than a handful. Made me very thankful that I bought the 250F. I could not keep the front end down and I know that on the track, I would be holding on rather than riding.

Just my $.02

your pretty light, about the same as my friend who bought a 250 2 stroke, he sucks on it, he was diffenity faster/better/braver on his kx250F. the bike kicks his ass basically. for your weight....250f.

for the track only, 250f

for trail only and offroad, 450f.

combo of both, 250f and add some motor mods.

for the track only, 250f

well put, but i would have put this

for the track only, 250f

for track, trail and off-road, 450f.

i love riding 450's on the tracks, for some reason i just can't wait for the sand section :thumbsup:

Get the 250f definitely. With your weight, that would offer gobs of power. I weigh 185 and mine will easily ride a 5th gear wheelie stock. My friend(who weighs 220) bought a CRF450 and wished he would have got a 250F after he rode mine. Just make sure you ride blue!

i love riding 450's on the tracks, for some reason i just can't wait for the sand section :thumbsup:

I like the 450s also, but they are to much bike. about 3 hard laps and the rider is done. There are VERY few people that can run a 450 at speed for 30 minutes. The vet classes are a good example. I run them on my modified 250f, and about 3rd lap and you start seeing all the 450 pilots trail riding and just hanging on for life until the checkers. Especially at washougal!

I like the 450s also, but they are to much bike. about 3 hard laps and the rider is done. There are VERY few people that can run a 450 at speed for 30 minutes. The vet classes are a good example. I run them on my modified 250f, and about 3rd lap and you start seeing all the 450 pilots trail riding and just hanging on for life until the checkers. Especially at washougal!

i didn't tire, mind you i only did two laps. hmm, your posts have been making me want to spend a day on a 450. cuase whats the point of getting one if i'm gonna be too damn tired to ride it? :thumbsup:

i didn't tire, mind you i only did two laps. hmm, your posts have been making me want to spend a day on a 450. cuase whats the point of getting one if i'm gonna be too damn tired to ride it? :thumbsup:

That's what a lot of us have been tellin' ya, go ride a 450 for longer than a couple of laps and see how beat up you'll get (arm pump and all). Been there done that, I prefer the 250F. The 450 controls the way you ride (partial throttle, hanging on, etc.) while the 250 allows you to ride the way that YOU want.

for the track only, 250f

NAAILED IT RIGHT ON THE HEAD!

Well i'm taking all your advice and getting the 250f. Im picking it up thursday. Thanks for all your help.