Sign in to follow this  

CRF450X motor position

I am new to this site. Great site and topics BTW.

I read on some other website that the 06 CRF450's have the motor positioned forward, by a few millimeters, from the 05. Apparently this was done for the 450R's to help turn better in berms on race tracks but since the mounts on the frame are slightly different the 450X got the same new forward motor position.

I searched through these CRF450X threads and found several asking about 05 to 06 differences but did not see the motor position mentioned so I am wondering if the information I found earlier is true.

I also see in these threads that the CRF450 pushes in turns and fork position, chain link topics to improve the cornering.

I ride southern calif desert (borrego badlands) and like light front ends to stay on top of sand in the washes we ride in.

I am shopping for either an 05 or 06 CRF450X. If the motor position change is true then I may try to get an 05. Any help or input on the truth to this motor position change will be greatly appreciated.

There is no frame geometry change or motor position change from the original '05 model to the '07 mode. Same bike.Well, the '07 has a repositioned APump rod.

The R and the X have almost no common parts; they just look like they are the same. When you get them side by side you can see the vast difference.

Thanks Krannie. Now I don't have to worry if the calif version 05's sell out before I have the doe. The 06 will be a few hundred more so I'll try to get an 05. But I won't sweat the motor position thing if I have to get an 06.

I have all the jetting and other info I learned from this forum so I should be set.