Sign in to follow this  

Strange silencer question...

I have some general silencer questions.

The club I ride with is going to be in a parade next week, and my sons want to ride their bikes in it too.

The problem is, that the 50's with their little mx pipes are LOUD. I could maybe go buy KTM mini adventure silencers or something similar and adapt it to work, but what else could I do to make these little things quieter for the parade goers?

And on a 2-stroke, how much of the sound is the fault of the pipe, and how much the silencer? They both have big fat pipes on there, am I going to be able to get them quieted down by messing with the silencers?

So far, here is what I've done:

I pulled the silencer off of the Beta. The sucker is straight through. Not much noise suppression going on there. I drilled the rivets and pulled it apart. The packing was completely soaked, so I pulled it all out. I squeezed all of the 2-cycle out of the stuff into a pan so I could reuse it in premix again. No I didn't, you guys will believe anything... :thumbsup:

I'm wondering if I weld a longer tube in there, like the one on the TE from the endcap inwards that everyone has been Dremelling out of theirs, if that would help quiet things down. Also, when I repack the fiberglass, how does the fiberglass density effect the sound level? Should I leave it loosely done or cram it on in there tight?

Any thoughts?

paul

I take it you do not get trail rider magazine, in the back there is a ad for a plastic gizmo that bolts onto the back of the silencer and routes the exhaust in sort of a Z. It may be in the back of Dirt Bike or Dirt Rider also. If you saw that you could improvise with some sort of auto parts. I have also seen people take a old inner tube and hose clamp to quiet them down. I would try it out for a little bit to see if it melts. It should not as they will be putting in the parade. If those bikes are single wall pipes you may want to try a making a cover/baffle. Just Mcguyering.