Sign in to follow this  

Cheapest Oil Filter, which one?

I'm about to change the oil on my CRF 450R and I wanted to know if there is a cheaper oil filter out there. I'm using Shell Rotella 15w-40 (as I heard it's good) in both sides of the engine, and that's cheap enough. but I'm looking for a cheap oil filter. I've used the Pureone filters on my streetbikes with no problems, but does anybody have a part # or something for a filter they use and where you bought it? Thanks.

I'm hesitant to use the Scott's re-usable filters for two reasons: 1.) I don't dirtbike that much (I ride streetbikes/track days more), so I'd rather buy a bunch of filters via Ebay for $20 which will last me for about a year. 2.) The Scott's filters are bike specific, so if I end up selling my 450R within the next year, and buy a KX, YZ or something else, I won't be able to use the same filter.

Dubach recommends paper filters over reuseable filters.

I could careless what Dubach recomends...

Just think how much money you can save if you just leave the filter out.

Just think how much money you can save if you just leave the filter out.

Why throw money away?

I'm not really a fan of the reusable filters. I don' want to have to clean it out. I'd rather just open the box and put a new one in.

I've been using the Hi FLo filters for the last 2.5 years on my CRF. When I put a top end in it this winter everything looked and spec'd out just like new.

You can get them from www.cyclegear.com HF115

Sheesh. :thumbsup:

Get a stainless filter they cost about 60$ but can be cleaned and will last forever

That is what I did. I plan on keeping the bike so I change oil after every couple of days of riding, I figure in the long run I will save money.

How does that work. :thumbsup:

I agree, it sounds counterintuitive. Is there even an effective way to totally clean them out? It seems there would always be at least a little left behind after your cleaning that would be allowed into the engine. Disclaimer- I have never used a stainless filter myself.

^^^ take a paper filter & a stainless one and pour oil in both of them and watch which one starts flowing. Then you get pressure from the motor and you should get the idea. More oil = cooler temps & better lubrication. I change my oil every ride! My filter doesn't have to work that hard because it always has fresh oil to filter. I used a paper one the first 4 oil changes to get all the junk out from break-in & the factory, then switched.That's just my $.02 ,, you can use the filter that makes you sleep better..

Another vot for the HiFlo ones off eba. I bought ~7 of them for ~$20. Change it every other ride. Seeing as how I only get to ride maybe every other or thrid weekend they will last most of the year.

^^^ take a paper filter & a stainless one and pour oil in both of them and watch which one starts flowing. Then you get pressure from the motor and you should get the idea. More oil = cooler temps & better lubrication. I change my oil every ride! My filter doesn't have to work that hard because it always has fresh oil to filter. I used a paper one the first 4 oil changes to get all the junk out from break-in & the factory, then switched.That's just my $.02 ,, you can use the filter that makes you sleep better..

OK, so "Protection" in your words is lubrication not filtration. :thumbsup: