Motorcycle permit.. do you have to ride with someone?

No, that sounds crazy. In CA, you can't ride after dark or on the freeway, but you can ride alone.

How are you supposed to ride if you have to wait for a licensed rider to go with you every time?

ROFL, Bee-Dub !!

I think the rule is a fellow rider (on another bike) has to have a license.

I'm not sure on the laws, when i moved from Michigan to California, all i had to take was the CA written test, and get proof the "M1" on my michigan license was actually the full motorcycle endorsement.

I guess you dont need to ride with someone ?

....and a person, while having in his or her immediate possession a valid permit issued pursuant to subdivision (a), who is age 17 years and 6 months or over, may, in addition to operating a motor vehicle pursuant to subdivision (d), also operate a motorcycle, motorized scooter, or a motorized bicycle, except that the person shall not operate a motorcycle, motorized scooter, or a motorized bicycle during hours of darkness, shall stay off any freeways that have full control of access and no crossings at grade, and shall not carry any passenger except an instructor licensed under Chapter 1

The interesting thing is that in CA you can ride a M/C with a "learner's permit" BEFORE you have to take the mandatory riding certification class, which you must do once you get your regular driver's license. Someone with a regular license has to take the class before they can ride to qualify for their M1. The class is about $300.

So I guess this means that kids with a permit don't need the class until they have been riding for a while? My kids learned to ride in the dirt making the class kind of a joke since they can smoke most adults on any trail. They don't really want to ride on the street anyway as I have taught them that it is too dangerous. In CA you'd better be ready if you venture out into traffic!

Just make sure you HAVE THE PERMIT PAPER IN YOUR POSSESSION when you ride. DMV DOES NOT enter it into the computer. That piece of paper is the only thing you have showing that you do in fact have a learners permit, no computer check the police can do will show a permit issued. No proof of permit = driving out of class = bike gets towed.

As stated above, no freeways, no passengers, and no night riding. Other than that you are good to go!! (And take the MSF course, it's well worth the time, $$, and less hassle than doing the stupid "lollipop" maneuver at DMV!!)

I would agree that the motorcycle safety course was a good idea. One of the gals who works with me decided to get back into riding at age 50+. She's ok on a mtn bike, but I would hate to think of her on her Shadow out on the road not having taken that course! Already she laid it down in the driveway when she got off balance.

Sometimes the law does protect us from ourselves..........

Having JUST been through this with my son...with a permit:

-no riding at night

-no freeways

-no passengers

It is quite possible to get a MC permit before 16yo - and before the msf course.

True, the LA2Barstow2 Vegas event has an award for the youngest rider. It regularly goes to a rider 15 1/2.