Sign in to follow this  

Torquing new spark plug...

OK...now I'm fu**ing paranoid that I may have caused cyl head damage :thumbsup: to my bike after my lil' experience with torquing the fu**ing valve cover bolts with my Husky torque wrench. I put a new plug in after checking valve clearances and used the torque wrench to torque to 8 ft/lbs. The wrench is damn near new and I ALWAYS set it back to 0 after use. What are my chances of causing thread damage to the head after torquing the plug to 8 ft/lbs (sure felt like I turned awhile before it hit the "click")...FU** TORQUE WRENCHES!!!

Today I removed the previously new plug and replaced with a brand spankin' new CR8EK and hand cranked it down about 3/4 of a turn past finger tight...Think I'm OK? If I potentially sheared the threads while "torquing", is it possible that the shavings fell into the cylinder? There were NOT any shavings on the removed plug. Am I fu**ing paranoid? Oh yeah...FU** TORQUE WRENCHES!!!

P.S. Excuse my French BUT...I had to order (won't be in until this Thurs.) a 7mm Helicoil kit to fix my last problem so I haven't ridden in days....can you say with withdrawals? Where's my straight jacket??? :ride:

Jered

Your bike will be fine. You, well I'm not so sure about :thumbsup:

For future plug installation don't use a tq wrench and 1/2 turn after snug is will do it.

Ken

If there were no aluminum threads parts on the plug,, your fine. Next time remember it's a crush washer... designed to crush :thumbsup: Hand tight then about 1/2 ~ 3/4 turn.. If you feel it start to really tighten down,, STOP, your done.

There is no "Husky" torque wrench that is accurate down to that amount, not that I'd trust at least.

You can not blame a tool for improper use. Torque wrenches (even good ones) are accurate to a percentage of full scale. So say a 100 ft lb wrench is accurate to 2%. That is plus/minus 2 pounds. Not bad at 100 ft pounds. Not too bad at 50. Not so good at 20 ft lb. Now that +/- 2 lb is 10 %. Useless at 10 ft lbs. And this is for a good wrench. Clicker wrenches are even worse at low scale settings plus being speed sensitive.

I've learned this the hard way....I've been "playing" with wrenches and moto-scooters for a while now and I've never managed anything like this. I split the cases and rebuilt my CR80 when I was 14...guess you never stop learning... :thumbsup:

Don't give up the torque wrenches, they do serve a purpose. In your thread about the stripped valve cover bolts I listed some of the things that I never use a torque wrench on......add spark plugs to that list. :thumbsup:

Don't give up the torque wrenches, they do serve a purpose. In your thread about the stripped valve cover bolts I listed some of the things that I never use a torque wrench on......add spark plugs to that list. :thumbsup:

I DO realize the importance of a torque wrench (i.e. hubs) to ensure that you've gotten it at least "tight enough". But I'll NEVER again use the one I have for minute torque requirements...unless of course I buy something similar to the snap-on 1/4" model...but $200 is halfway toward a Yosh RS3. :ride:

For very high temp applications like spark plugs, I use a *little* anti-seize compound (usually contains lead), oil is useless for very long at cylinder head temperatures.

Bob