Sign in to follow this  

Burned, Anyone, Be my HERO!

Lets start by saying my bike wont run. To be more specific, it will start on the first attempt, with the choke on, run for 10-30 seconds, and then shut off. Then it will will not start again. (Its getting plenty of power) This has only began after i installed a moose 200w stator and a new regulator. So i have tried what was in other threads - removed the carb, cleaned all jets, checked the float, all fine and in spec. Replaced the spark plug twice, since it was originally looking filed, but now appears to be fine after checks. Also, I tried to start without the plug, and it is getting gas. I am at a complete loss where to go from here, and I would love to go on a weekend trip, so I need to get this fixed. Also, as a side note, the exhaust feels like it is sucking more than blowing when attempting to start it. Maybe check the valves? They were in spec earlier in the season though. I need a miracle it would appear. :ride::cry::thumbsup:

If it starts and runs at all it is not compression or valve timing. I would suspect igniton. Why did you replace the stator and RR?

I had a wreck a a little while back that damaged those 2 parts. Until i replaced them i was blowing fuses when i used the electric starter. This is not happening now since the installation of the news parts.

How long until it will start up again and run another 10-20 sec? Does it ONLY run with the choke on? You say you "removed the carb, cleaned all jets" How long was the bike down for? Really sounds like a plugged pilot jet,,,, but, need more info.

After it will start the first time, it wont start again for about 2 days. No matter how many times you try. I have not had a successful attempt without the choke, but again the tries are after the first time it starts and shuts off. The bike was only down for about 2 weeks, which before then was rode 2-4 times a week. When i removed the carb, i removed the bowl, removed all components and cleaned them (and could see through them) and put it back on.

Is there a two week timer on your new ignition system???

the exhaust feels like it is sucking more than blowing

Try not to give us these setups, they are really hard to resist...... :thumbsup:

If you are sure it is getting gas, pilot jet not plugged, then it has to be some kind of ignition issue. The compression and timing aren't likely to change back and forth. Gas tank vent plugged?

Don't blow yourself up trying, but get some starting fluid and see if it will keep running with a squirt in the intake when it starts to die.

I have added starter fluid before attempting to start it, which never helped. Is it really safe to add it while the bike is running? Also, if this works, are the odds good the bike will stay running in the woods, if i dont find the cause of the problem?

Is it really safe to add it while the bike is running?

Try doing it outside and keep your head low. also try putting a timing light on it while it's running and if the light stops when it starts to die, it is ignition.

If the carb was out and cleaned, could it be a fuel screw setting that's way off after the re-assembly?

If the carb was out and cleaned, could it be a fuel screw setting that's way off after the re-assembly?

could be, it could be a lot of things. he needs to narrow it down. Fuel, compression, spark. Start at the basics, check each one til you know what is failing.

I know its not spark, i tested all 3 plugs outside the chamber. All 3 have a good spark (2 plugs are new, 1 is 7 mos.). I will try the starter fluid while its running tonight, if i can get it started. My buddy also checked the compression and said it was fine. So I will try to find if there is a fuel/ignition problem i can diagnose. Thanks for the replies last night from everyone!

Gas tank vent plugged?

+1... mine did the same thing.

Cleaned the carb twice, pulled my hair out :ride:

tried it w/gas cap off, ran great. Rerouted the vent line :thumbsup:

Just out of curiosity, is it possible for a defective RR to cause this issue? Because the issue didnt start until i replaced this part.