Sign in to follow this  

Best RELIABLE/performance 250? Thoughts?

I was thinking about getting the Honda CRF 250X... but there is soooo much volatility in the postings about its reliability and maintenance schedule. Some say it's the greatest, no probs, maintenance not too bad at all... others say quite the opposite: tight valves, needs top end work all the time, too much maintenance, etc. I've practically given up on the bike now since reading too many negatives.

I want a great performing, not much maintenance, RELIABLE 250... Calif quiet GREEN stickered would be nice, which CRF 250X's were. I'm not a racer, won't thrash it over revving. Just want great riding machine... ride and go. Any help on this topic of selection would be much appreciated. Thanks.

6'2", 185lbs.

Go 2 stroke-2000-2002 Honda or Yamaha!! You cant go wrong! Gob's of power, easy to maintain, Light, flickable, Inexpensive, Super fun, sound awesome & smell even better, it's a no brainer!!

I want a great performing, not much maintenance, RELIABLE 250... Calif quiet GREEN stickered would be nice... I'm not a racer, won't thrash it over revving. Just want great riding machine... ride and go. Any help on this topic of selection would be much appreciated. Thanks.

6'2", 185lbs.

Great riding machine would imply a bike with a modern suspension as opposed to a less expensive trail bike like a crf230 / ttr230...but those are pretty reliable. And lower maintenance. I don't know of any modern 4 stoke 250 that will be as reliable as a 230 bike or lower maintenance. It is entirely possible that a 230s suspension might be just fine for you - but you seem too big for a 230 anyway.

estart may be handy to you, you may want a wider tranny so you can do the slow stuff without slipping the clutch a lot and still ride at a good clip in the easier stuff without the engine revving really high. A License plate might be handy.

TE250 (and te450/510) comes with a plate in case you did not know, and some ktms will too but with larger engines. Highly recommend a test ride is you can manage it. If you are really new the off road msf course sometimes have a variety of bikes you could try if nothing else. Husky TE250 is very reliable to me. wr250f has a wide ratio tranny and they seem reliable too.

Is this your first bike?

Thanks guys for the input. Had a Kaw 250 2 stroke back in my teens. Rode a tad in my 30's... now pushing on past 40. Time's been a wastin... Back then, tearing into my bike, rebuilding it seemed like an everyday occurrence. Learned how stuff worked. Gave you a great sense of pride to be riding one day what was a bench full of nuts and bolts the previous day. I so don't want do that now. It's soooooo out of my system. Just ride and go. Park it... and go next week without the constant fixing & upkeep.

But I'd also like to enjoy Performance in a bike: not too heavy a bike, nimble, decent zip & go, quiet is better than noisy, green sticker... and Reliability. Relative low maintenance. Yes, modern suspension sounds right. The e-start on the 250X sounded sweet. Wide tranny sounds more my style. Yes, license plate sounds handy... but this is starting to sound like wanting the moon.

I'm lovin this feedback... thanks!

The green sticker is an issue if you live in California. If your bike is registered outside of California and you can the Arizona drivers license, then you don't need CA registration. But if you move to CA, you would need to comply with the Red/Green mind maze.

Everything 2002 and older is a green sticker. Anything model year 2003 or newer can be either red or green depending on how the bike was tested.

The Husky Te250 is green sticker legal.

The CRF250X is green sticker legal.

Some years of the WR250F are green sticker legal, some are not. Be careful!

If you want to do almost no maintenance, get an XR400.

A bit more zip, better suspension and more maint, DRZ400.

Again, the KLX400 is the same as the DRZ400, but one model year is not green sticker legal.

Thanks guys for the input. Had a Kaw 250 2 stroke back in my teens. Rode a tad in my 30's... now pushing on past 40. Time's been a wastin... Back then, tearing into my bike, rebuilding it seemed like an everyday occurrence. Learned how stuff worked. Gave you a great sense of pride to be riding one day what was a bench full of nuts and bolts the previous day. I so don't want do that now. It's soooooo out of my system. Just ride and go. Park it... and go next week without the constant fixing & upkeep.

But I'd also like to enjoy Performance in a bike: not too heavy a bike, nimble, decent zip & go, quiet is better than noisy, green sticker... and Reliability. Relative low maintenance. Yes, modern suspension sounds right. The e-start on the 250X sounded sweet. Wide tranny sounds more my style. Yes, license plate sounds handy... but this is starting to sound like wanting the moon.

I'm lovin this feedback... thanks!

Interesting - I have 2 friends that rode one of my bikes, they are used to 20yo 2 strokes. They could not imagine anyone EVER needing a more power or better suspension in the technical stuff than that bike. Stalled on the side of a steep hill? Push the button and tractor up. If they could possibly get the money they REALLY want a bike just like that. They are both decent riders but are not rich.

The bike was my sons CRF230 - so it really depends on you perspective. Test rides are a very good thing.

Kevin_xr - The TE250 does not come with any sticker at all - just a license plate.

edit - I am NOT suggesting a crf230 is what you should get, just that test rides are good.

Kevin_xr - The TE250 does not come with any sticker at all - just a license plate.

But if you convert it to off-road only, it gets a green sticker and looses the requirement to have street liability insurance.

Some years of the WR250F are green sticker legal, some are not. Be careful.

The 2001 and 2002 WR 250f are green because they were grandfathered in, the 2006 is green because it has a smog pump. The 2003 and 2004 are red :thumbsup:

But if you convert it to off-road only, it gets a green sticker and looses the requirement to have street liability insurance.

So get the plate, convert it and don't tell anyone.

Greg

Well that is correct. When I insured for liability only it was $80 / year for 3 bikes with knobbies that have plates. I really like having a plate, but thats just me.

OP did not mention if he wanted a new bike or used, what is your budget? If you want green sticker and new, I agree looking at the husky's for the plate, and I also think the new ktm 250xcf (xcf-w) will be a more high performance 250 4 stroke, I believe they have e-start as well. I can't imagine a 230 working for you at your size and IMO are way underpowered and undersuspended for anything but putting down a fire road. You will not be able to keep up with people on full size bikes, I've tried it on a 230 and as soon as it opens up... see ya! Not to mention they feel like they have 3" of travel in the suspension. Very reliable and low maintenance though. I agree on the older 2 stroke, that's what I ride and you can't beat it for the purchase price and power to weight ratio. Gotta have that green sticker so the early 2000's 2 strokes are gold.

As far as a budget, I was thinking of getting a new one... now think a good used one might be more prudent. A best of all worlds bike WAS the hope... thought the CRF 250X was IT until realizing it was a high maintenance machine... with temperamental valving. It was quiet, green stickered, a detuned - wide tranny 250R, great reviews, performance, elec start, light weight, nimble. Too much work to keep it running now. So... a GOOD used one, not tooo old, is now what I have in mind. Hey, thanks a million for your feedback guys!