Sign in to follow this  

Hello everyone.I have a question.

I hope this is in the correct location..(newbie here)I was told this was the place to ask..I currently have built my 3 GSXR1000 and i will have it sold soon..I want to build a super moto (hope thats the correct term) next..I want to do trackdays and use it for the street..I looked at the suzuki (i get dealer cost on parts one reason for looking) DRZ-400 but wasnt sure just how much one of those could be built.Would it be better to say buy a RMZ 450 and do a conversion on it (if is avalable).Or go with something else.This will be a new project for me ill do most of my own work etc.I just need some info from the experts on where to get started..I really appreciate your time..Thanks Eagle.

I would have to say the most fun way is to get a KTM 525EXC. In 07 they will be street legal so half of your battle has been taken care of. then all you need is a SuperMoto conversion kit. Nicely packaged by KTM. The other thing I like about KTMs is the endless amount of goodies you can get for them.

U6906808.jpg

Use this kit to convert your full size KTM in to a race ready Super Moto machine (kit only applicable to models using a 26MM front axle). Thie kit comes complete with 58309060000 320MM front brake disk, 58413014000 320MM brake support, 54803047000 foot peg sliders, 54803046100 rear axle sliders, 54803045000 front axle sliders. 50308010200004 Super Moto front fender, 50033029015 15 tooth front sprocket, 58409001644 17" complete front wheel (fits 26MM front axle), 57310001044 17" complete rear wheel (non damped), front and rear Dunlop racing slicks & tubes, as well as all needed screws and bushings to complete the job.

and then there is the Husky SMR510

06_stlegal.jpg

also the jap bikes are not a bad option. just require more work to get them ready.

th_Beav_077.jpgth_SuperMoto__34__copy.jpg

th_SMR510rr.jpgth_SMR510s.jpg

Click on thumbnails for larger pics

Thank you for the reply..Those last 2 pics are pretty small but i get the idea..Was hoping to do something with the suzuki but i need to open my options ....Thanks again..

An RMZ450 would likely make a nice 'tard. But what about the cost? Sure you can get parts for a deal but you'll need a LOT of parts to mod it for motard duty.

Keep an open mind and price out all the options. Frankly the DRZ is outclassed at racing unless it's racing in a DRZ specific class. The other bikes are THAT much better.

Thank you for the reply..Those last 2 pics are pretty small but i get the idea..Was hoping to do something with the suzuki but i need to open my options ....Thanks again..

those are thumbnails click on them and they will take you to larger pics :thumbsup:

Thanks guys for the info...The pics of the KTMs etc are great...I just wonder how i would get tags for a RMZ 450...Ohio DMV are really stricted about that crap i bet.

as stated above the drz is fine for street and entry level sumo track day riding. once you achieve intermediate status and are learning to get faster and faster, you will crave a lighter and faster reving bike. due the the expense of modding supermoto bikes, i prefer to get the bike wanted upfront. v.s paying for a begginer and upgrading later with more expense.

i am not knocking the drz in any way! my wife has a 02 400 e converted and loves it BUT, she is starting to get to the point where the bike weight and reving is starting to hamper her learning curve. i foresee her on a newer 250 4 stroke very soon.

if you can find a copy of the latest supermoto racer magazine it has cassidy anderson on the cover (www.supermotoracer.com) it has a 450 shootout in it with first timers all the way to full blown pro riders with down to earth info. good reading. also make sure to get over to www.supermotojunkie.com lots of good folks over there too.

welcome to the addiction! make sure to checkout circleville raceway and www.misupermoto.com for dates in new castle indiana that track is the cats bootie!!! if we get a good turn out, i am told there are looking at getting 6 dates for us next year. we really need a good turn out or we may lose the track altogether. ski

I am from Ohio and actually since 2000 its really easy! just go to the title beuro (?) and tell them that the bike is street leagal then they ask you to sign a waver(stating that you have done the necessary modifications) and give you a street title. its that simple then you go next door and get plates!