Sign in to follow this  

recommended mods for tall guy

OK, I'm not super tall, but I weigh in a 6'2" and 215lbs. I find that aggresive riding on my DRZ400S realy hurts my back. I thinking of a set of bars, or risers, or something. I need them higher, not sure to go forward or just straight up. I would appreciate any suggestions on suspension set up for my weight or ideas to help the bike fit me better.

Thanks,

George

bigDR bar risers and new bars, button bend if renthal 7/8" is a good start.

You do need them to go forward if possible, the button bend has less sweep then many.

Sitting to standing transitions can be helped out with a taller seat.

You need stiffer springs and new valving for decent suspension if you ask me. Check out the racetech site for more info.

I'm 6'4" with 1.5" up+1.375" forward risers and Jimmy Button bend renthals on the bike I'm comfortable standing.: I added a scotts stabilizer and now I'm flying through washouts standing on the pegs. :thumbsup::cry::ride:

I'm 6', 220lbs. I recommend a front spring change (and heavier fork oil -10w). This will make the bike feel lighter and more stable in all terrain by keeping it level (matching the front and rear springs, they are very unmatched stock due to the passenger-carrying capacity) and by preventing dive under braking. I feel it is the best mod I have done so far.

I installed "cr-hi" bend bars (cheap 20$ steel ones to try out the bend) and like them. At my height and reach they are perfect for standing. Recommend the riser too but they are expensive and the bar change is a nice move in that direction. There are several riser manufacturers. Many on here use "BigDr" risers made by a fellow tt'er (still available?), the rox brand look more adaptable but not as rugged.

Recommend the regular mods (3x3, dj kit) to get the power to haul your weight around. Gearing change is a matter of riding environment. Stock gearing is too tall for offroad. I use 14/44 and find it perfect.

(matching the front and rear springs, they are very unmatched stock due to the passenger-carrying capacity) and by preventing dive under braking. I feel it is the best mod I have done so far. I use 14/44 and find it perfect.

What springs did you go to? I'm 6'4" and 365 and have begun to notice way too much fork dive under hard braking on the street. I have almost 1000mi on it and have not bled the air from the forks yet, could that be causing some of it?

I went to someone's spring calcualtor and it said to increase the rear spring. Is that as important as the forks?

On gravel and loose dirt the front end is all over the place. Id the dampener the only fix for this?

I have heard that the DRZ should have the head bearings repacked and the headset tightened to eliminate this.

I also like the ROX risers because they allow you to go forward or back. I have mine set as far forward as possible with CR High bars. The throttle cables had to be rotated to underneath the bar.

I'm 6'4" and it's easier to stand, but I'm still bent over.

What springs did you go to? I'm 6'4" and 365 and have begun to notice way too much fork dive under hard braking on the street. I have almost 1000mi on it and have not bled the air from the forks yet, could that be causing some of it?

I went to someone's spring calcualtor and it said to increase the rear spring. Is that as important as the forks?

On gravel and loose dirt the front end is all over the place. Id the dampener the only fix for this?

I have heard that the DRZ should have the head bearings repacked and the headset tightened to eliminate this.

Air in the forks cause harsh action so I doubt your diving problem is that. How are your fork seals?

It is best to have balanced suspension. Keep in mind that race techs spring rate calculator is based on their valveing. That said you still need new springs front and rear.

Your front end issues are directly related to your suspension not being set up for your weight.

Yes lube the steering head bearings and tighten the headset as directed, don't overtighten it though.

I also like the ROX risers because they allow you to go forward or back. I have mine set as far forward as possible with CR High bars. The throttle cables had to be rotated to underneath the bar.

I'm 6'4" and it's easier to stand, but I'm still bent over.

What he said. Stock bars are way too low.

Yes lube the steering head bearings and tighten the headset as directed, don't overtighten it though.

Where's the thread for steering head repack?

Search is down...again.

search is down whenever there is too much traffic-bandwidth saving mechanism.

for my weight racetech recommended 5.8kg/mm rear spring, .48 kg/mm front springs. I went with a 50/50 blend of 5 and 10 wt fork oil for a 7.5w homebrew in the front (I have also brewed up some weird fork oils with atf, chainsaw bar oil, motor oils and varsol-but not for the drz). I left the rear oil and nitrogen pressure stock but need more damping when heavily loaded for trips.

10guy is right re handling. I was looking at a damper but waited until I had done the suspension. Glad I did and saved myself $$$. My bike handles better than anyone else's that I ride with (last year of cr500, gasgas300ec (3 of them!), wr426, stock drz, dr650, klr, xr-l, kdx220...) I just plow through stuff. Even ruts and roots have all but disappeared from my trails. I just giv'er and hold on. It used to shake its head on gravel and feel loose in sand and gravel-not anymore. The front end is planted and out in front where it belongs. The stiff springs keep the front end extended and that performs the same function as increasing rake and trail geometry=stability.

Use racetech's spring calculator to give you the spring rates but for a weight dont use your "dry" weight, use your riding weight (one size spring stiffer maybe?). Racetech's rates are a bit too soft until you crank up the damping, as their valving does.

Wow, looks like I have some work to do.

Can't affort the bars/dampener etc but I can afford a tube and some albow grease.

Where's the thread on the swingarm repack?

Thanks for the input. I'll start off with a new set of bars, then add the risers probably, maybe go the other direction. I think then I'll stiffen the front end as I also noticed it is way too soft for me, but the back end only bottomed out when I took a big jump and cleared about 15ft verticle.

I'm sure I will have more questions along the way on this topic, I tend to research things to death before spending.

George