Sign in to follow this  

XR 400 kick stand

To everyone with CRF230 and modified suspension:

I installed an XR400 kickstand on my CRF230 that has been modified with XR250 forks and raised in the rear to match the front. (@ 2 inches when on a stand)

Lengthening the stock stand would not be that difficult, but the XR stand is a nice one piece tapered part. Another plus is that the flat pad portion that touches the ground, is welded on an angle that holds it in a vertical position when the stand is in the up position. This allows for a bit less to hang up on stuff when the trail gets nasty/bushy.

The XR stand bolts right on and works perfectly! If interested in adding same to your bike, you will need to purchase the pivot bolt and spring as well because the CRF230 parts (bolt and spring) will not work properly.

I installed the CRF230 stand onto my modded 150. Now it stands correctly too!

Good luck and ride safely.

See-are-ef-too-thir-t-ef,

I have a complete CR85 front end ready to install on my CRF150. I decided to go with the 2002 XR250 front end on my 230. The swap was almost a bolt-on compared to the CR85 stuff, and the XR forks are 41mm. The CR85 forks are still only 37mm, same as stock but with a bit more travel.

After conferring with many racers that had CR85 forks on their 150's, I knew I would be in for a lot more work. The XR250 forks are spot on as is. The 230 wheel, axle, brake caliper, hose, and everything bolts right up perfectly!

All that was needed was a mod to the steering stem. The forks have adjustable compression damping and 10.6" of travel.

The untrained eye would never be able to tell the difference. The forks are conventional style, but I think they are cartridge type. It did raise the front up @2". I made a mod to the rear that raised the back up an equal amount, hence the need for a longer kickstand.

My mod to the rear raised it up @2" and also gained .5" travel. I am very pleased with the results. The rear needs a bit more sorting to suit my tastes, so I'm still working on it. It is a big improvement over stock in the fast sections, whoops and jumps.

Sorry to drag up an old thread guys but I'm ordering a xr400 kickstand for my raised 230 tomorrow and need to know if there is a specific year I should order from? Are all xr400 stands the same?

Outerfroggy1, I ordered mine for the LAST year XR400. I believe the only difference is in color. Ron Ayers shows a different part number for 96-03 and 2004 stand. Mine is silver, which I think was 2004 only.

You might ask on the 250-400 forum.

Remember to order the bolt and spring too because the 230 parts won't work properly with the new stand.