Sign in to follow this  

Stabilizer setup

I just got this put together today and took if for a ride. It feels really good. Much more dramatic than I thought it would. like someone else said it feels like its on rails. I love the under bar mount because the thing is out of the way yet very easy to adjust. I like the bar pad too. I cant wait to get it on the trails and on the dunes. http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1194027/001-280bike2.jpg

Is that a scott's upper triple? What kind of a rise does it give you?

Ya I did the whole thing at once. Stabilizer, Scotts upper triple clamp, and bars. Even greesed the steering bearings. Setup was really easy. With the kit they send easy to read instructions with a nice color printout. I went with the Jeremy Mcgrath twin walls with a 40mm rise. The under the bar kit raises the bars about an inch so I got the smallest rise Twin Walls I could find. It still raises the bars a little but it feels really good. I'm 6'3" so having the bars a little higher when standing will probably be a good thing. Ya its sad I have to leave the thing sitting for almost two weaks while I am out of town. ARG.

Sorry to ask a stupid question, but I've never had a stablizer before, and I'm seriously considering the Scott's. Did the install require you to drill any holes into the frame?

Where did you get it from, how much did it cost, and is it necessary to replace the upper triple clamp? (Sorry, for all the questions :thumbsup: )

I actually got the stabilizer of ebay and the rest of the stuff from Scotts. I probably saved little if any doing it that way instead of just getting it all from Scotts from the start. It was not cheap. I think I will have probably $750 into it when it is all done. If I was willing to stay with the 7/8 inch bars instead of going to the 1 1/8 inchers it would have been much less. I bent the crap out of my new 7/8 pro tapers and wanted the strongest bars I could get. I also wanted the under the bar mount which I am really glad I went with. It is a sweet setup.

A stabilizer is one of the highest priority mods that should be done to any bike.

It will make the bike much faster(by virtue of it being much easier to ride fast) than any other equivalent priced mod.

Makes the bike safer too.

BJ

A stabilizer is one of the highest priority mods that should be done to any bike.

It will make the bike much faster(by virtue of it being much easier to ride fast) than any other equivalent priced mod.

Makes the bike safer too.

BJ

Huh??? Most everything else I have read says has the opinion of getting your suspension done correctly first. :thumbsup:

Sundog wrote-

Huh??? Most everything else I have read says has the opinion of getting your suspension done correctly first.

Suspension work goes without saying. :thumbsup:

Like I said-

Suspension + stabilizer + good rider = very fast bike

BJ

Sundog wrote-

Suspension work goes without saying. :applause:

Like I said-

BJ

Ahhh... I getcha....although that is not on my high priority list of mods. Mine is:

1. Suspension

2. New fat bars

3. Get as many stickers on my bike as possible...

4. New plastics

5. New TrailWings

6. Buy a helmet

:thumbsup::ride:

Ahhh... I getcha....although that is not on my high priority list of mods. Mine is:

1. Suspension

2. New fat bars

4. New plastics

5. New TrailWings

6. Buy a helmet

:ride::applause:

...Shouldn't you get the new plastic first, then put stickers? I hear stickers make you faster! :thumbsup:

1. Suspension

2. New fat bars

4. New plastics

5. New TrailWings

6. Buy a helmet

:thumbsup::ride:

OUCH, you may want to rethink that.

Sundog wrote-

Suspension work goes without saying. :thumbsup:

Like I said-

BJ

I'll have to disagree with you on that one. I've had a scotts stabilizer on my RC51 for years, and wouldn't ride without it. But, I feel that the DRZ (sm) wouldn't handle as well with one. Part of being able to take corners very fast (on the track and the street) is being able to 'manhandle' the bike when you need to. Making the quick adjustments in steering (especially when backing it in) would be really tough if the damper was locked down. My 2 cents... :ride:

I'm looking at one like this.

http://www.gprstabilizer.com/suzuki-0005-drz400-std-bar-kit-p-177.html

Can it go under the bottom bar if I use risers?

The idea of using a bent crossbar kinda defeats the purpose of having a crossbar.

Don't want to swap out he upper triple because I have to find a way to mount the speedo and keyswitch.

Whaddyathink?

HMMM, I've heard that the Scott's (from this site) and the WER (posted on their site) only dampen away from center.

Is that a problem?

Seems like when I'm in the sand it's all over the place and I don't jump a lot.

Couple this with the fact that I'm a big guy (6'4" 365) - I would want to dampen both directions, wouldnt I?

How do you adjust the WER if it's down on the fender? They also show one mounted to the frame. Wouldn't you be drilling right into the oil tank?

Maybe that's anothe rapplication.

RCstylin wrote:

I'll have to disagree with you on that one. I've had a scotts stabilizer on my RC51 for years, and wouldn't ride without it. But, I feel that the DRZ (sm) wouldn't handle as well with one. Part of being able to take corners very fast (on the track and the street) is being able to 'manhandle' the bike when you need to. Making the quick adjustments in steering (especially when backing it in) would be really tough if the damper was locked down. My 2 cents...

A street damper and a dirt damper are 2 very different animals. I use a GPR unit and it would work perfect for tight& fast adjustments. On setting #1 it has minimal drag on the steering, but still really dampens any external inputs from bumps, curbs, rocks, roots etc.

Put one on your SM, ride with it for at least 10-20 hours(in all conditions) til you get well used to it. then take it off and see how you like riding without it.

Goebz wrote:

I'm looking at one like this.

http://www.gprstabilizer.com/suzuki...-kit-p-177.html

Can it go under the bottom bar if I use risers?

The idea of using a bent crossbar kinda defeats the purpose of having a crossbar.

I use that exact one

Bending the crossbar a bit does't hurt anything. Handle bars aren't preloaded like some people believe.

Apparently the Jimmy Button Renthals have enough clearance for the GPR unit without touching the crossbar. I use the Carmichael/Wyndham bend and had to bend the cross bar about a 1/4". No Problem

BJ