Sign in to follow this  

Kawi Rant, sort of

This is somewhat of a rant on my Kawasaki. I bought my KDX 3 weeks ago and while it's a fun bike and for the price nothing could come close to offering me what this bike has but i'm starting to get really dissapointed with Kawi's build-quality. The taillights already crapped out on me as mentioned in another thread. But the strangest problem i've come across is it seems the heat from the radiator has contracted the two side plastics. Tonight was the second time we've had to dremmel the holes because they keep NOT matching up. Has anyone else noticed this? Also, it seems the factory tightening of certain things is well beyound recommened torque specs.

I have a kdx and havn't had any of the problems you describe :thumbsup:

This is somewhat of a rant on my Kawasaki. I bought my KDX 3 weeks ago and while it's a fun bike and for the price nothing could come close to offering me what this bike has but i'm starting to get really dissapointed with Kawi's build-quality. The taillights already crapped out on me as mentioned in another thread. But the strangest problem i've come across is it seems the heat from the radiator has contracted the two side plastics. Tonight was the second time we've had to dremmel the holes because they keep NOT matching up. Has anyone else noticed this? Also, it seems the factory tightening of certain things is well beyound recommened torque specs.

I don't have any clue what you mean by "the radiator has contracted the two side panels"? or "the holes keep NOT matching up". We need more details and pics.

I don't have any clue what you mean by "the radiator has contracted the two side panels"? or "the holes keep NOT matching up". We need more details and pics.

Sounds like when the shrouds are getting hot, they are shrinking ,or, contracting.

Sounds like when the shrouds are getting hot, they are shrinking ,or, contracting.

Exactly, the heat from the radiator is causing the the shrouds to shrink which means the the holes are not lining up. I've had to dremmel both shrouds in order to get them to line up with the screw holes. It's pretty bizarre. If i can find my cord for my digital camera i'll post the pictures.

Exactly, the heat from the radiator is causing the the shrouds to shrink which means the the holes are not lining up. I've had to dremmel both shrouds in order to get them to line up with the screw holes. It's pretty bizarre. If i can find my cord for my digital camera i'll post the pictures.

Since that is not a usual problem I would search for the "real problem" ie: water pump, low oil or hi rpm's while at a stopped position. And if the bike is still new I would recommend returning to the dealership where you purchased it and give them the opportunity to adjust any manufacturer installed oversights.

Yeah, i'm not dissing on Kawi, there engines are great and all that, but every time I work on one, the factory tightens everything waaay to much!! I've had bolts break in the middle multiple times from the factory putting them in to tight and just loosenging cracked them. NEParider, mayber your coolant is low??? also your waterpump may not be working. Start the bike up when it's cold, and then open the radiator lid (it will take awhile to expand if it's all the way cold) and then you can tell if the fluid looks like its being pushed by the pump. If it's not moving at all your pump might not be turning. might be worth a try...

That happened to my shrouds, it's a bitch to put them on

Just dremmel or drill the holes bigger. In my case the difference from where to hole was and to where it needed to be was as much as 1/2 an inch. My other bikes were all air cooled so this is something i never came across but what happens make sense.

Just dremmel or drill the holes bigger. In my case the difference from where to hole was and to where it needed to be was as much as 1/2 an inch. My other bikes were all air cooled so this is something i never came across but what happens make sense.

You need to find out WHY this is happening, something simply doesnt make sense. I've had 6 KX's over tha past 20 years, and never heard of this occurance. Even severly overheating a KX/KDX will not warp the radiators or the shrouds. Crashing your bike, and twisting up the raditors WILL cause the holes not to line up.

You need to find out WHY this is happening, something simply doesnt make sense. I've had 6 KX's over tha past 20 years, and never heard of this occurance. Even severly overheating a KX/KDX will not warp the radiators or the shrouds. Crashing your bike, and twisting up the raditors WILL cause the holes not to line up.

I haven't dropped the bike once and the bike is not overheating. In fact the the radiator is not getting what i would call scorching hot and the motor is fine as well. But it does seem that there is enough heat to cause the shroud plastic to shrink. The 1/2 inch missalignment was probably a bit much but i would say it was off by 3/4's of the screw hole.

My shrouds never lined up perfect from day one. A little muscle and getting the thread started is all it takes. It's something that never bothered me enough to be a problem I guess. How often do you really take your shrouds off?