Yamaha 250 but YZF or WRF???

well it depends on what you want to do. the YZ if you want to race. but the WR for trails or woods were you might need a light or the bigger gas tank. the YZ is a good bike for trails tho, i use mine all the time. i guess it boils down to if you want to have a fast bike or a little slower, but more relaxed if you use it right. :ride: Keep in mind that the WR's are heveir(how ever you spell that). GOOD LUCK!! ?

What sort of riding are you going to do?

If you like to hit the trails, you'll be better suited to the WR. The suspension isn't as hard. The bike won't wear you out as quick. You'll have a larger fuel tank for extra riding range. There is more flywheel weight, so the bike isn't as snappy, but it will chug over obstacles with greater ease (more inertia). This is great for technical sections. Then there's the electric leg... great for hill climbs when getting to the kickstarter is just too hard... or for when you get lazy. The WR's gearing is also better suited to trails.

On the other hand, plenty of guys like the yz for trails too. If set up right (suspension) they can be a lot of fun... the lower weight is a big plus.

I hit the motocross track occasionally just for fun on the WR and it handles it great, but its not as well suited as the yz. As for the trails, I wouldn't trade my WR for a YZ. If you plan to go into some comps, you may need the front and rear lights.

There are however plenty of guys that use the YZ for the trails and are very happy. You can have the best of both worlds by YZ'ing your WR or vice versa. With all the free mods detailed on this site, you can give the WR the same engine characteristics of the YZ. Fitting a YZ cam into the WR will also give it some extra snap. Once again though, plenty of guys prefer the WR cam for trails.

No one bike is better than the other... rather, they are better suited to a particular type of riding.

Enjoy!

bergermeister thanks. I don't think I'll be able to get into any competitions for a while, and I like the whole lighter part of the YZ. I'm only 14 and 6'0" so that may be a better choice. My ttr 125 is just too small, bleh. the YZ is sounding pretty good lol

ok, i just got a 02 wr250 and it is awesome i love it. it is also really good on the track, because i upgraded it a little, and perfect on the trail. wr will go faster cuz of its wide ratio trans. but the yz will accelerate faster. i was in the same spot u r in and i chose the wry, either way u will be happy

It sounds good. I almost know for sure that I'm going for the YZ. If I do drag racing with this bike like against a WR250F will I lose? I know the WR has a wider gear ratio and is reported to go 15mph faster. lol, just a random 3.30am question

the yz would destroy the wr in a drag race, personal experience. and with a fmf mega bomb and t4 exaust, k&n air filter, and a good rider, it'll also kill a yfz-450 in a sand drag (both w/ paddle tires and same weight riders)...another personal experience.