Sign in to follow this  

MAJOR headshake problem!!!!!!

okay this has probly already been covered but search wasn't working and im anxous to know...I have an 05 sx 125 and it has an unbelievable headshake to it....ive played with suspension and had it set to my weight and everything but nothing has seemed to help the headshake problem.I rode my friends sxf250 and an 06 sx 125 and they seem to have the same problem....is thier any way to help or fix this problem without having to buy a $400 steering stablizer?? thanks :thumbsup:

Actually you are both wrong. Sag should be set at 40-45mm static and 115mm rider sag ( + - 5mm) per the "Golden Rule of Sag" . I believe if you have the correct spring and sag you will be rewarded with much better handling and suspension.

Cher'o,

Dwight

Sag is a good place to start. Make sure your suspension is set to the same clicks on each fork, make sure oil levels are the same. If setting the sag does not cure it, play with the height of your forks above the triple clamps(at top). If you reduce the height(extending the forks) it should give the bike more high speed stability( longer wheel base).

But remember your bike was built for the track, if nothing helps, a stabilizer is always a great remedy

okay this has probly already been covered but search wasn't working and im anxous to know...

Search only works every other monday morning at 4 am if you've been a good boy and the wind is from the east. :thumbsup:

On any bike, any brand, street or dirt, assuming all is in good shape, steering head bearings must be perfect, wheels reasonably true and some where near balanced etc. If all that is good head shake is insuficent trail. Trail is that imaginary line that goes thru the steering head and hits the ground approximatly 4" behind the front tires contact point. Changing trial is a matter of changing rake! Rake itself has little effect on anything but trail is very sensitive and bikes handle their best with as little trail as you can get away with.

The simplest adjustment of trail is sag, so when Dwight says set the sag he is assuming your bike is sitting at the wrong ride heigth and the rake is effected. Odds are 99% that you follow his advice and all is going to be good. A good race tuner is going to raise the back and or lower the front until the front end shakes its head, then back up slightly, this is generall where steering is going to be at its optimum and Dwights guide lines typically are going to be the quickest route to get there.

IF that does not fix it the symtom is the result of the chassis being rotated forward too far, fork rake is reduced which by default reduces trail which causes the head shake so if rear sag does not fix it, consider front sag next.

Consider, what if you bike has spent too much time with the front suspention strapped down on a trailer and the springs are collapsed! or

What if the front has too much rebound and not enough compresion dampening? Or the oposite on rear dampeing, too much compression & too little rebound can leave the back riding high.

Either can make the bike ride tilted forward and cause head shake.

Search only works every other monday morning at 4 am if you've been a good boy and the wind is from the east. :thumbsup:

Now I know what's wrong. :ride:

I had the other parts covered. :cry:

:ride::applause::applause:

KTMs have headshake period................had numerous setups and some limited it to different degrees but its just a trademark of KTMs...get a steering damper

All bikes will shake to some degree, stock KTMs a little more than most. My 450 XC has better stability than any stock bike I've ever ridden, but I have done a lot of work to get it there. The biggest improvement I made to my bike as far as stability goes was to shorten the rear travel. A 6mm spacer in the shock reduced the extension travel which helped tremendously when braking hard and going downhill. I now run 100mm of sag instead of 115mm, this has my bike sitting at about the same ride height, but without the unusually long extension travel. I have been running without a stabilizer for a couple of weeks now and am very happy with the handling / suspension of my ride. The Trailtrick valving / springs helped a lot too.

FYI, the shortened shock did not slow my steering at all. It did reduce the tucking under sensation the bike had with the stock length shock though.

KTMs have headshake period................had numerous setups and some limited it to different degrees but its just a trademark of KTMs...get a steering damper

To be competitive in the "steering" game it has to be agressive, minimul trail. They can build a stable bike without a damper, the magazine road tests would kill it and you would not buy it!