Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust and jetting question

Hello all,

I am working on getting my bike plated in Illinois. Since my exhaust is kind of loud, (FMF Powerbomb header and FMF Powercore muffler) I've purchased a stock muffler and will toss that on for the inspection. I'm hoping this keeps it quiet enough to keep me from having issues.

Am I going to have carb/starting issues if I don't rejet? I'm just wondering if I can slip this muffler on, get inspected, and switch back.

I'm also wondering if the stock muffler might be good to keep on the bike, if I mod it. Any thoughts?

I'm really only plating the bike so I can ride the fire roads, etc. It will rarely ever do any real street riding.

The stock (1998 and later) muffler is 89-90 DB and should pass any test. If your current jetting is good for the aftermarket exhaust, you may have to lean your jetting to run with the stock un-modified muffler. That muffler can also be modified (Gordon's Mods) by drilling holes around the outlet for more performance. I run the stock muffler on my 400 with the snorkel removed a UNI filter and run #155 main and #55 pilot. My riding area is in woods behind homes and stealth is important.

I agree with Glenn. You'll be running a little rich when you put the stock unit on for testing. If you decide to keep it, you'd best rejet for your elevation and mods. We can help you there too. The stock can is actually pretty good modified, without getting loud.

I have to start by telling you I am strongly against mufflers over 96 db.

Riding areas all over the USA are being closed down and noise is often the nail in the coffin.

Switching to the stock muffler will make the bike run a bit rich. Slightly sluggish throttle response. If you listed the jetting, I would have a better idea. Too rich for too long is not good for the bike.

If you plate the bike, remember to short shift through neighborhoods.

We don't need people ticked off at bikes due to noise.