Sign in to follow this  

xr250 dies

Hello, Im having a trouble with my xr250, if I throtlle fast the engine stops, any idea?

Congrates... u found the Honda Kill switch... odds are you'll never notice it while rideing. My bike will actually only do it cold. Really good jetting suposidly will take care of it, but the best solution i've read is a pumper carb which = $$$... But as i said, you'll probably never notice it when ur actually out.

hahahaha thanks, I belived mine XR was the only with the problem, I will try to rejet it, i just quited the bafle and the problem begins hehehe, I will try to get another jetting needle :ride:

Again Thanks :thumbsup:

If the bike idles and runs good.. I wouldn't be messing with the jets and settings in the carb. I'd say by whacking the throttle that hard, It can't handle that much fuel and therefore floods out and dies.

Mine is very cold blooded and will stall out too.. So I've learned NOT to "whack it". Mine also has some hesitation issues, even when it's warmed up.

That's actually quite common with most bikes, not just the xr.

The reason for this is that the bike is naturally aspirated, and not fuel injected. You have just discovered why all of the manufacturers are looking at FI on the new bikes: throttle lag.

Gas is pumped into the carb by suction, and when the throttle is opened rapidly, you drain all of the fuel faster than it can suck it.

The way around this officially is to buy a pumper carb, which doesn't rely on suction, but it squirts the fuel instead.

The unofficial way around this is jetting. It escapes me which jet controls this mostly, but fine tuning on the jets can reduce it.

Yeah, mine do that too, and it has to be a quick whack from idle to WOT. On the other side of the coin, how often do you really do that while actually riding? Me? Never.

Well not sure on 4 strokes but my 500 had the problem. Just had to mess with main jet(top end)

I bought a used 94 that had a stock main jet and an 8-over pilot jet. Started and ran good but would "load up"/flood if I let it idle too long. I put a stock pilot jet in and had what sounds like your problem. Very cold blooded and would cough badly if I opened the throttle quickly. After considerable warm-up it got better but I could still get it to cough when riding it, so right now I'm running a 5-over pilot jet and that seems to work well. I may buy a 2-over pilot jet to see what happens.

The cause of throttle lag on stock XR250s when snapping the throttle is a momentary lean condition - it takes a moment for the fuel flow to catch up with the sudden increase in airflow through the carburetor, the result being hesitation and/or stalling.

By comparison, the XR250L comes stock with a pumper carb and normally does not have this problem.

edr2, if you removed your exhause baffle, you've caused the fuel mixture to go lean and will most likely have to adjust or rejet richer to compensate.

-Bob