Sign in to follow this  

$500 for a valve adjustment????

My Klx has about 2500 miles on it and I know it's time for the valve adjustment. I'm not mechanically inclined so I called a local shop near me (Thousand Oaks Kawasaki) and I was quoted the price of $500. That seems steep. Does anyone know of a good place to get this done. It doesn't have to be in Ventura County I'll travel just about anywhere as long as it's done right.

A good shop should be able to do the valve adjustment in under 2 hours. The only parts that MAY be needed would be the shims.

Ride on

Brewster

K Mike,

I'm not very mechanically inclined either, but there was no way I was going to pay someone to adjust my valves. I bought the book, got the free on-line tips from Planet KLX etc. and bought the shim kit from Hot Cams. The first time it took about 2 hours as I was being extremely careful. I must have checked my math 10 times to make sure I was right. I really was not hard to do. Go for it! :thumbsup:

Mike,

Run Forrest!!!! $500.00 bucks is way too much. Try www.afterburnermx.com I called for you and they said $ 100.00 and that included shims. I just had them replace both tires and h.d tubes, chain and 48t rear sprocket, true my rear rim, perform 1st service which included greasing bearing, lof, etc. I also picked up a set Pro-Tapers and grips all for $ 500.00 bucks!!! Give Mike a call they are in Canoga Park. Cool people. P.S. let me know when you want to ride I'm in Simi. Reed

I paid about $165 (I think) for my 4cyl 16 valve Connie with threaded adjusters and a gazillion fairing parts to take off. They said a Ninja with shims would have been about $50 bucks more because they have to remove the cams to get to the shims. So $500 for an unfaired single is just rediculous. They must have been trying to run you off.

i would pay $165 NZ for adjustement plus new shims!! $500 U.S is criminal

$500 is not a good deal. Shop that guys weak quote and tell him he is off his rocker. Better yet bear down and do it yourself. You may need a few tools but at least you will have the supplies to do future adjustments when they are necessary. They may not even need to be adjusted yet.

K Mike,

I'm not very mechanically inclined either, but there was no way I was going to pay someone to adjust my valves. I bought the book, got the free on-line tips from Planet KLX etc. and bought the shim kit from Hot Cams. The first time it took about 2 hours as I was being extremely careful. I must have checked my math 10 times to make sure I was right. I really was not hard to do. Go for it! :thumbsup:

Do what Zeak here says. Then pat yourself on the back, and keep the money in your wallet. It may seem intimidating at first, but take your time, follow the directions. It's not that hard. You can always post here for help. Use a torque wrench.

Or, if you want someone to else to do it, Kawasaki of Simi Valley did it for $167.00, including two shims. They are close by, and you can trust the mechanic there.

:ride:

Huh!? It does sound like stereotypical dealer gouging. My local dealer wants $135 for a clutch kit for my old XR 250. Rocky Mountain has them for $35. How do these people stay in business? I think they rely on providing service to people that can't figure out which way to turn the gas cap to loosen it and have no clue as to how much something should really cost. I'd shop and get some written quotes and take them back to the service manager and ask him how they came up with that price. :thumbsup: People never call these guys on this kind of bogus crap so they continue to do it. Of course, having said that, not all dealerships fall into this category, but if you don't know some basic mechanical things about your car, bike, moped, lawnmower, chainsaw,etc, you're asking to get reamed when it's time for service.

I would scratch that number out of your book. Personally, I'd never go back there again if it was me. That is beyond highway robbery. If you need the name of a great mechanic PM me, I'll give you the guy that works on my stuff if you PM me. He's been a Kawi service manager, big bore builder for a lot of the mags, and works out of his house. He's very reasonable and good, but is in the San Gabriel Valley.

Mike,

Run Forrest!!!! $500.00 bucks is way too much. Try www.afterburnermx.com I called for you and they said $ 100.00 and that included shims. I just had them replace both tires and h.d tubes, chain and 48t rear sprocket, true my rear rim, perform 1st service which included greasing bearing, lof, etc. I also picked up a set Pro-Tapers and grips all for $ 500.00 bucks!!! Give Mike a call they are in Canoga Park. Cool people. P.S. let me know when you want to ride I'm in Simi. Reed

Sweet I'm in Chatsworth, didn't know about this place I'll have to look them up. Thanx for the Info!

My Klx has about 2500 miles on it and I know it's time for the valve adjustment. I'm not mechanically inclined so I called a local shop near me (Thousand Oaks Kawasaki) and I was quoted the price of $500. That seems steep. Does anyone know of a good place to get this done. It doesn't have to be in Ventura County I'll travel just about anywhere as long as it's done right.

Time for a new shop.

Seems you are getting a few names / leads if you really don't want to do it yourself. Another idea is to ask if it is ok to watch the mechanic while he sets your valves so you could do it the next time.

I vote with buying a service manual and doing it yourself. Between the manual and help you can get online there's plenty of info on how to do it properly. I think half the fun of owning the bike is turning the wrenches on it. Give it a try, you'll be amazed at what you can do. Just make sure you pay attention to the decimal places on the feeler gauges. I adjusted valves on a KLR 250 I own (and have up for sale currently!), misread the feeler gauge and it made one heck of a racket when I started it up. It's not a lot of fun taking everything back apart to fix a bone head move. Side note - the 250 suffered no damage, did I mention it was for sale?

I paid $65.00 for a valve adjustment on my DRZ 400..Same set up.

hey rambo, that 135$ was probably for a full honda clutch kit, fiber plates, steel plates and springs, whereas Rocky Mt. was probably just fiber plates.

Do what Zeak here says. Then pat yourself on the back, and keep the money in your wallet. It may seem intimidating at first, but take your time, follow the directions. It's not that hard. You can always post here for help. Use a torque wrench.

Or, if you want someone to else to do it, Kawasaki of Simi Valley did it for $167.00, including two shims. They are close by, and you can trust the mechanic there.

:thumbsup:

Second that- Kawasaki of Simi Valley has worked on my bikes- KLX, KDX, Concours- good prices and no issues. (inc a complete top, bottom and tranny on the KDX- ran as new afterwards until I sold it)

T.O. figured if you will pay that- they will take it...