Sign in to follow this  

Kx450f 5-speed: good thing?

what do you guys think of the 5-speed kx450f? for me i like the idea of a 5-speed because i ride off-road and a 4-speed is unconsiderable. but even with a 5-speed the lack of light, larger gas tank and other things still makes it a far off choice. and i know the 4-speed is better on the track.

so what do you guys think? 5-speed good or bad? i think kawi shouldn't be so cheap with their RnD and keep the KFX a 4-speed and then make a KLR450 with light, bigger tank, and 5-speed (among other things).

btw what have the valve adjustment times on the kfx450 been like? how often do adjustments take place.

5 speed definately one for the offroaders!

Just like the YZ450 is now a 5 speed.

I think it is a good thing, if you don't use all 5 gears, is it then bad?

I can see it for offroad, but the 4 speed was better for me. I had planned to wait and buy the 07, but when I heard it went to a 5 speed I went out and bought an 06 instead. I don't need it, or want it.

The magazines have all given the 4 spd a bad name. So everyone shyed away from it, then the manufactures change to a 5 spd.

Personally I like the 4 spd for MX and SX, it suits the 4 stroke power band better than a 5 spd. Less shifting equals faster. I ride a CRF450 2005 and I rode my buddies 06 KX450 the other day. I want one, bad. And I want a left over 06 for the 4 spd.

You know what man , i ride a KX450f in the woods only , some of the trails i ride are fast some are slow and technical with a few BIG hills and i like the 4 speed . I think the only thing it needs is a fly wheel weight and next time i go riding it will have a 9oz weight on it , i will have more to say about that after my next time out .

I prefer the 4 speed over the 5 speed

factory Kawi will be running the 4 speed in 07

hopefully the KX450f will be a 4 speed with EFI in 2008

i like the 4 spd on m y kaw, and i liked the 5 spd on my honda, so either wa i dont think it will matter, the bike will be awsome no matter what, it is kind of nice not have to go through gears like a mad man though.

I prefer the 4 speed after riding my fo-fiddy since feb. On the tracks I ride 95% of the time in third gear. Less shifting and more riding. Riding bikes with 5 or even 6 speeds is to much thinking and less riding. I won't be buying another big bike until this one craps out and is taking more money to keep up. But that will be in about 10-15 years.

As far as the valves are concerned. I checked mine at 50 hours and still in spec. I have had no issues with the bike and it's up to about 65 hours and still ripping. I checked the clutch plates at 50 hours also and a slight hint of blue on some of the steels and the fibers still look new. :thumbsup:

I like the idea of the 5-speed because it will offer more options as far as gear selection for those of us who race...

I like the idea of the 5-speed because it will offer more options as far as gear selection for those of us who race...

You sound like the magazines.

Those of us who race? What does that mean

The 4 speed is just as fast on top as a 5 speed its just that the gears are spaced more, which fits the 4 stroke power better. The 5 and 6 spd boxes are old 2 stroke thinking. You need all those gears when the bike only makes usable power across the upper 1/4 of its power band. The 4 strokes make power over the entire power band, why not utilize it with longer gears? And be faster with less shifting?

i think faster guys appreciate the 4 spd a litle more, it seems like if ou can keep the bike in the power it works really well, but if not i could see how it might be a pain in the ass. It took me a little while to get used tomine, but now that i have i really like it.

I think for the masses the 5 spd will be better. Under some circumstances I think the 4 spd is an advantage but you have to be ready to make gearing changes. At the track I ride on there a 2 technical triples that take all the accelaration out of the 450 you can get. I felt the bike was a bit too low in the rpm range to get ideal accelaration so I went to a 51. Problem solved.

~Einstein~